Chapter 34

There will be an epilogue 

For two months Nicholas and I were trapped in one of Victor's houses. It was difficult, but I was used to it. This was my life until now, so no differences for me. Nicholas, on the other hand, was going insane. A week ago he apologized to me for having me stay in his home all the time. 

But being locked up wasn't the only thing that irritated him. Nicholas' business, mafia, went through great losses because of the deal with Victor. It seemed every week went something wrong and he had to pay more and more money and lost many investments. 

At the same time, we didn't particularly try to get pregnant. I didn't want to be touched and well, Nicholas was a gentleman. He had only asked me once if I was serious to which I replied, "Well, if it really comes to it, yes, but I mostly did it to buy us some time while protecting Evelyn. So I would rather not." 

Nicholas understood and never spoke of it again. 

This morning was the same as any other, only it was not. 

After a quick shower and getting dressed I made my way downstairs as usual to make Nicholas and myself breakfast. As I descended the stairs I did notice it was rather quiet but paid no mind to it further. 

As I entered the kitchen I was startled by the sudden appearance of Victor. "V-Victor? W-what are y-you doing here?" 

He sat at the table, looking at some paper while sipping his coffee. Victor had put his coffee down after my question and took his sweet time standing up. He readjusted his suit, picked up the piece of paper, and turned toward me. 

"It seems plans have changed, little Angel." 

As he made eye contact with me he smirked. Victor made his way to me and handed me, what seemed to be a letter. "What?" I asked as I took it. 

"Just read it, then you will understand." 

Dear Ava, 

The last months have been hard for you, your brother, Evelyn, and me as well. We all have tried to take care of each other, look out for each other, to protect each other. So far we all managed to do just that. 

But the agreement with Victor took a toll on me and my family business. I was getting robbed by the vile man and there are many others who depend on me, Ava. Many families are being supported by my business. 

I can't hold my part of the agreement any longer. I will have to part ways with you, how difficult it is for me, I just can't afford to stay in the clutches of Victor any longer. 

I am sorry.

Nicholas  

My hands started to tremble. My whole body was shaking, my vision blurred, and cold sweat slid over my back. 

"W-what does this mean?" I asked with tears in my eyes. 

Victor sighed. He walked up to me until he stood right in front of me. He grabbed my chin and tilted my head upward. "This means, little angel, that you will be my wife." 

I took a step backward, wriggling out of Victor's grasp. I threw the letter on the ground. "No! Not again! Not again!" I grabbed my hair and start pulling it. My breath quickened. Panic coursed through my body. 

Not again, please, not again. 

"The divorce papers are already prepared on the table, you just have to sign them, and then we can plan our wedding." Victor walked away, but before he left he turned around. "Oh, and little angle, I am not a patient man. So just get on with it, okay?" And with that, he left. 

I fell down on my knees. How could he? How could Nicholas do this to me? 

I screamed, cried, yelled. When I finally calmed down I stood up and made my way over to the table. I saw the documents and I noticed Nicholas had signed them already. 

"Fucking traitor," I spat. Tears of anger rolled down my cheek, dripping on the documents.

There wasn't anything I could do so I just signed the papers without a second thought. For a split second, a wave of fear went through me, but I completely went numb after that. I had already experienced what kind of marriage I was getting into. 

There were no surprises for me anymore. I knew my life would be sadly enough similar to the life I led with Edric. 

I heavy sigh left my body. There was just one person I could think of who I would miss dearly, Evelyn. I felt regret I never expressed my feelings to her, afraid I would hurt her or my brother. But now I wished I told her I loved her.

• • •

That evening when I was lounging in the library with a glass of wine, still feeling numb about Nicholas leaving me, I was being called. 

I stumbled on my feet as I walked through the corridor that connected the library with the living room. There was my villain number three sitting on the couch, a man standing next to him. I studied the both of them. 

Victor wore an expensive suit and his gold watch was shining against the dark grey suit. The other man wore a more simplified dark blue suit. I knew for sure he work for Victor and when his face came in my line of sight I recognized him when Nicholas and I had to sign the contract. 

I forgot his name, maybe it was the alcohol. 

"There is my little angel!" Victor laughed. 

Why was he laughing? I halted and rested against the wall, tilting my head wondering why Victor was happy. 

"I have to say, Ava, you signed those papers sooner than expected... Are you drunk?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Come here," My villain ordered me, crooking his finger. I didn't care what would happen to me so without a second thought I stumbled my way over until I stood between his legs. 

Victor grabbed my legs, making me almost fall over. "Well aren't you a naughty, but good girl for me," He then made me sit on his lap. Victor grabbed my glass of wine, set it on the coffee table, and grabbed my chin again. "I thought you were some weak, pathetic girl. Too innocent and naive, but it seems life has toughened you up, didn't it?" 

"I don't know, I just don't feel anything right now." 

I could see how Victor was scanning my face, I could see the surprise in his eyes. He grabbed a strand of my hair and twirled it. I felt no fear. And I didn't mind feeling numb. Maybe that will make this whole ordeal so much easier. So I grabbed onto it. 

"Well it does make things easier, there is nothing more annoying than an abundance of emotions. You have no idea what a hand full your brother was today. You should be happy I let him live." 

A part of me felt relief I heard that my brother tried to rescue me, but the numbness didn't let that relief show, only my stoic face was seen. 

Victor patted my thigh. "Up, up." 

I stood up and the man I am supposed to marry grabbed my wrist, leading me outside to the car. The man in the dark blue suit followed us. "You know, I kinda want to reward you for your good behavior. So let's make a deal." He stopped us next to the car. "If you behave, listen to me I will treat you well, but defy me and your life will be hell." 

Victor's playfulness disappeared as he said that, his face darkened and turned serious. "Do you understand, little angel?" 

I shrugged my shoulders again. "I don't care anymore... fine." 

"All right then, now that's settled, let's go home," Victor held the door open for me and signaled me to go in. 

I entered the car and right then I thought, I really don't care anymore. I was now officially broken. 

The End