𝟎𝟓: 𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒, 𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒-𝐆𝐎 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐘!

𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐑: 𝐈 𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭 𝐑𝐨𝐫𝐲.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Tell me everything," Jacquelyn ordered me. 

I took a deep breath, and told her about how Count Olaf was currently the "guardian" of the Baudelaires and how he planned to stage a fake theater show featuring him and Violet getting married. Everyone would think it was fake while Olaf would use real documents to make the marriage completely legit. 

"This is a catastrophe of gigantic proportions," Jacquelyn said after I was finished.

"Tell me about it," I said with a snort. "So, got any ideas?"

"You're the one with the information," she said. "Haven't you got a plan?"

"I'm twelve! My job is to be annoying Count Olaf and supporting the Baudelaires."

Jacquelyn frowned thoughtfully. "You mentioned that I was going to be kidnapped by Olaf's henchmen before I could get word to others."

"Yup. But Gustav rescued you. Still, you should get word to him now to come get the Baudelaires. Fast."

"No, I can't." Jacquelyn tucked a curl behind her ear. "But you can."

"Back the T-rex up here—say what? Why can't you?"

"Because we're being watched. Don't look so confused or serious. Be a child."

"No problemo, Jackie." I swung my short legs, pretending to be distracted by the pretty bluebird fluttering around the park. Then, I spotted a very large hook-handed man trying to hide behind a thin maple tree. Subtlety was not his strong-suit.

"I see. What's our cover then?"

"You were . . . asking about starting a bank account to fund a charity for . . ." Jacquelyn furrowed her brow again, searching for a legitimate fake charity cause.

"Children unable to get a good education or a lot of opportunities for extracurricular activities."

"That works."

I thought about it. I knew Count Olaf was going to force them to cook dinner for him and his "theater troupe" and that they were going to come to my aunt's place to use her library and find a cookbook. However, because of Mr. Lemony Snicket's inability to include a specific timeline in his story, I have no idea when this is going to happen.

"I'll have to look for an excuse to get the Baudelaires to come over," I said at last, pursing my lips. "How do you propose I get a message to Gustav?"

"The sewers, of course," she said simply.

I stared at her. "You can't be serious."

"I am completely serious," she said, nodding encouragingly.

"No way," I said. "I did not sign up for sewer exploration when I came to you."

"But you'll agree to try and stop a criminal mastermind?" she countered.

"This is Olaf we're talking about," I reminded her. "The same guy who five-year-old me thought was like the fictional snowman he shares his name with in a movie."

"What?" Jacquelyn blinked, perplexed since I'd spoken in a low and fast voice.

"Nevermind," I sighed. "Fine, but I need to get some clothes to hide from my aunt. She'll notice if my clothes start smelling like sewers when she does the laundry."