Chapter 10

"Goodnight mom, I love you and I will call you every chance I get" I promised as I gave her a hug before I went up to my own room for the night, not wanting to wake her up when I left for work.

"I love you more" she pulled my head down to hers and kissed my forehead gently. "Remember to always follow your dreams my little sunshine"

I smiled gently at her, standing up and reluctantly turning away, knowing how much I will miss her while I'm gone. I sat in my window that night, looking out at the suburban streets below, quiet and peaceful. With a sigh I climbed off my windowsill and made my way to my bed, tucking myself in for my last night of peace before the exciting chaos of deployment.

Today is my first day of deployment. I will be leaving for the next six weeks on a ship with Bradshaw by my side, that is if I can get past my father.

I closed my book and rolled out of my bed, standing gracefully as I put my notebook in my duffle bag and zipped it back up. Slinging the bag over my shoulders I had walked down the stairs as quietly as possible, wincing as a step creaked loudly beneath me.

"Nicole? Is that you?" My fathers voice called out to me from downstairs where he seemed to be waiting. I winced slightly at the sound of my name, knowing there was no easy way out.

"Yeah, it's me" I took the last step and dropped my bag by the door, meeting my father in the kitchen where he sat at the table with his newspaper and coffee. "Morning" I mumbled, pouring myself a cup of coffee as well and leaning my back against the counter as I also grabbed an apple.

"What are you doing up this early?" He asked, eyes still trained on the paper in his hands.

"Thought I would go for a run before the day starts" I claimed, lying with ease.

"You always shower before a run?" He spared a glance towards me. My perfectly combed back hair and tight knit bun catching his eye. I froze in place, not having a response for him this time. I carefully and quickly moved to set my mug in the sink, taking the apple I have yet to eat and moving past my father at the table. "Nicole" he spoke my name out in a stern tone that would normally cause me to freeze on the spot, but after being yelled at by superiors for months I was no longer afraid of my father.

I kept moving, not looking back as I sped into the living room and grabbed my bag, only for another hand to catch the handle, holding it between us in a game of tug of war, each of us staring each other down.

"Nicole" he spoke my name again, slowly and darkly.

"Father" I replied in the same tone, not backing down. "I'm going"

"No, you're not. I won't let you go fill your head with foolish nonsense thinking that you can do a man's job"

"A man's job? Really?" I asked harshly. "Last time I checked the 'man' of this house sat on his ass at a bank all day while I've trained to be a naval aviator" I scoffed back, voice laced with venom.

"I forbid you from going" he began again.

"Watch me" I glared, ripping my bag from his grip and storming out of the house, slamming the door behind me as I stepped out into the darkness of the early morning. I stomped towards my car and threw my bag harshly in the backseat, getting in and slamming my door shut with anger. I leaned my head against the wheel with a long sigh, before shaking my head and backing out of the driveway, knowing I was leaving way earlier than I had to.

~~~

"Early as always, sunshine" Bradshaw commented as he pulled up in his truck next to me, both of our windows rolled down to let in the fresh morning air. The sun had began to rise while I read my book, waiting in the car for others to arrive at the base. With a sigh I looked up at him and rolled up my windows, not to be rude but simply because I was getting out of the car. He followed my example and rolled up his own windows, getting out to grab his bag from the backseat like me. Bradshaw glanced over at me carefully as I still have yet to speak to him, a stern look on my face from the argument with my father almost two hours ago.