Chapter 10: Flesh and Stone

Run boy run! They're trying to catch you

Run boy run! Running is a victory

Run boy run! Beauty lays behind the hills

After a while of trudging through the forest, Amy started to slow once again. River and Alice were immediately by her side.

"Amy? Amy, what's wrong?" River asked.

"Amy? Talk to us," Alice said.

"Four," Amy stated.

"Not what I was hoping for, but thanks for the effort," Alice muttered. Amy swayed on the spot. "Oh. Right. Not good." Alice grabbed the ginger's arm and guided her over and onto a fallen mossy tree trunk.

"Med scanner, now," River said.

"Doctor Song, we can't stay here. We've got to keep moving," Octavian said

"We wait for the Doctor," River argued

"Our mission is to make this wreckage safe and neutralise the Angels. Until that is achieved-" Octavian said, all stiffly.

"Oi! This is my sister we're talking about. We can't go anywhere with her like this and there's no way I'm leavin' without her," Alice said. "Got it?"

"Then you, your sister and the Doctor will be left behind," Octavian said. "Our mission is to neutralise the Angels," Octavian said.

"Father Octavian, when the Doctor's in the room, your one and only mission is to keep him alive long enough to get everyone else home. And trust me, it's not easy. Now, if he's dead back there, I'll never forgive myself. And if he's alive, I'll never forgive him," River said. She stiffened. "And, Doctor, you're standing right behind me, aren't you?"

"Oh, yeah," he said.

"I hate you," River said.

"I'd like to add that I do as well," Alice said, raising a hand.

"You don't," the Doctor told them, grinning, before becoming serious in half an instant. "Bishop, the Angels are in the forest," he said.

"We need visual contact on every line of approach," Father Octavian told his Clerics.

"How did you get past them?" River asked

"I found a crack in the wall and told them it was the end of the universe," the Doctor said, casually.

"What was it?" Amy asked.

"The end of the universe," the Doctor said. He knelt down next to Amy. "Let's have a look, then."

"So, what's wrong with me?" Amy asked.

"Nothing. You're fine," River said, not looking up from the med scanner in her hands.

"Yep," Alice said. But the Doctor decided to say,

"Everything. You're dying."

"Doctor!" River said, looking up, annoyed.

"Yes, you're right. If we lie to her, she'll get all better," the Doctor spat.

"I love your brilliant bedside manner, my dear friend," Alice said. He made a face at her. She copied him. He turned back to Amy.

"Right. Amy, Amy, Amy. What's the matter with Amelia? Something's in her eye. What does that mean? Does it mean anything?" he said to no one in particular.

"Doctor."

"Busy," he said.

"Scared," Amy argued.