23 - ❝your song❞

❖

Glenn had once told Elle during the Governor's rain of terror that things had to get worse before they could get better.

That was bullshit.

Beth dying should have been enough to classify as the worse of that statement. It should have been more than enough. But now she was standing at the grave of yet another person she loved. It was more than worse. It was utterly heartbreaking. She wasn't sure there was coming back from losing two people that quickly.

Beth and Tyreese. The purist of them all. The two who protected Judith and did no wrong. The ones who least deserved death, especially in the way it went down.

Elle had always wanted to leave Georgia. But if being in Georgia meant they could go back to how life was before the Prison fell, she would stay there for the rest of their lives. Now Virginia was where they were calling home for the time being, and it did not seem promising.

"E."

The sound of Carl's voice made Elle's head snap in his direction. They'd only spoken once since Elle was reunited with the group. It was when he first saw her. He'd gone on a five minute apology spree before he realized what the look on her face meant.

And then she held him while he cried.

But since that moment there had been no words. Elle hadn't been talking much to anyone. Neither had Daryl nor Maggie for that matter. And now Sasha was joining them.

"Yeah?" she finally responded, her voice horse.

"There's a store nearby I was going to check out while we rest," he told her. "Wanna come with?"

She nodded, "Just give me one second."

There was an important stop she had to make before the store, and that was the spot right next to a little boy who felt out of place.

"Hey, buddy," she said in a quiet voice, squatting down next to him. "I'm sorry I haven't checked up on you lately. How are you doing?"

"I'm really sad about Beth," Tommy admitted.

Elle didn't say anything at first, just pulling him into her side for a tight hug.

"Me too," she mumbled after a beat. "Me too."

"But Glenn is really nice," he said when they pulled apart. "I like talking to him."

"He's the best," Elle agreed, still not entirely present. It was like she was a character in the video game and while she could control her actions, she wasn't really there. "I'm gonna go scavenge a store nearby real quick with Carl. You good staying here?"