A Promise Is A Promise

Day heard frantic chirping and growling of Pokémon around her. Soon a cold wind shocked her eyes open. "Where am I? This isn't May's room." Day realized she was standing in a snowy forest, and with no path in sight. "Oh no. I've been sleepwalking." Day spotted two Pokémon around her. "Were you trying to help me?"

 "Yes we were." A small bird tweeted, landing next to the small kitten.

 "We're glad you're up." The kitten sighed.

 "Thank you for that." Day smiled.

 They froze. "You can understand us?" The kitten asked.

 "I'm sorry." Day said. "I can't completely understand you. Could you repeat that?"

 "It doesn't matter." The bird tweeted as she took to the air. "We need to get back to the tree. Maybe we could light another fire. Follow us." She and the kitten lead Day away though the trees.

 As Day followed, she spotted a frozen blue Pokémon in the snow. I can't leave this Pokémon out here. She pick him up and raced after the other two Pokémon. They came to a large tree. What is this? Day thought, watching the bird and kitten uncover a tunnel through the roots. They all squeezed through the roots to the inside of the tree. It's hallow. I didn't think trees could be hallow.

 "We're back guys." The bird said, landing next to some other Pokémon.

 "And we've brought a girl and her Pokémon." The kitten mewed, hopping into her place in the group. "Why don't we go around and say our names? And something about ourselves." Day sat down next to the kitten. "I'll go first. Hi. My name is Skittygirl. And I love to play games." 

 A bug Pokémon sitting next to Skittygirl went next. "M-my name is Buggy Ninja. I'm shy."

 "I'm from the forest." The next Pokémon tried to pass quickly.

 "What's your name?" Skittygirl said in a singsong voice. "Everyone has to go."

 "I don't have one." He muttered. The bird put her wing carefully over the grass type Pokémon.

 "You don't have a name?" Day echoed. "This is truly Christmas bad luck."

 The bird started next. "My name is Embertail. I've lived in this tree for years." She stretched her free wing and signaled the tree.

 "Guess I'm next." A little Pokémon in between Embertail and Day said. "My name is Magic. Uh, this is my first winter without a trainer."

 How sad. Day thought. Her sorrow deepened when she spotted rope burns on Magic's arm. Who would ever do that? Day adjusted her layers of socks and tried to get some of the snow and water out of her socks. Somewhere she had lost two or three in the snow, but there was no point in going to look for them.

 "My turn then." The small blue Pokémon in Day's arms said. He sat up in Day's lap. "My name is Mud. I'm actually Professor Birch's Pokémon. I just followed her when she was sleepwalking."

 "Sorry about that." Day said. "Looks like it's my turn. My name is Day. I'm actually from a big city."  Day remembered the big bustling city she called home. Day always had preferred small towns, but she liked the city too. Day missed the scorching pavement on her feet during summer, helping take care of the park during spring, and piling up all the leaves and putting them in trash bags during fall. Will I ever see it again? Will I just be lost in the snow?

 "Wow. I've always wanted to go to the city." Skittygirl said, breaking Day's thoughts. "Could you maybe take us someday?"

 "Maybe." Day said. "But I'm not going to become a trainer until I am 10. That's five years away."