18. Survival of the Fittest

In the car, Sam said, "All right. Exit's in three miles."

Dean frowned. "I still say this is a bad idea."

Sam looked at him. "Dean, it was your idea, and it was the best one either of us had."

"I said it as a joke. Only because we got no magic spell, no book -- nothing on how to find a freakin' righteous bone."

"We can call Castiel again."

"Dude, on my car, she showed up naked... covered in bees."

Sam looked at his brother unsympathetically. "Yeah, I'm not really sorry I missed that."

"Really?"

"Really."

A man spoke on the radio. "...The price of stock hit an all-time high following Roman's acquisition of Sucrocorp. I say Roman's a buy."

A woman answered, "Got to disagree with you there. I'm gonna call him a "wait and watch"."

"Come on, Lawshe. You're killing me."

"Hear me out. This is a new sector for Roman."

"That's right. He's holed up at Sucrocorp headquarters right now."

"So sit tight. This-"

Dean switched off the radio. "Holed up at Sucrocorp, huh?"

The brothers looked at each other.

---

They eventually reached a crypt.

Dean frowned. "Well, I guess if we can't find a righteous bone in a friggin' nunnery crypt."

"All right," Sam said. "Here -- listen to this. Sister Mary Benedict, uh, taught the learning-impaired and died at age 23."

"Eh, it's a little young. Find someone who's had time to corrupt."

Sam read from a large book. "Okay, well, there was, uh... here -- Sister Mary Eunice. Uh, fed the poor, became Mother Superior at age 60."

"Sounds political. Everyone knows power corrupts."

"Right. Um... listen to this -- Sister Mary Constant, 83 years of quiet, humble nun-like goodness. What do you think?"

"Wow. I want to be more righteous just reading this."

"Exactly."

Dean thought for a moment. "All right, well, I lay odds on her. Here we go." He walked towards a plaque bearing the name of Sister Mary Constant. "Well... let's bone this nun." Sam made a face. "Sorry."

Dean smashed the coffin with a mallet.

---

At Rufus's cabin, Dean tossed a lit match into a bowl. Flames rose and died down. Dean and Sam looked around.

Dean frowned. "Is he trying to make a grand entrance or..."

Sam shook his head. "I don't know."

"Son of a bitch. He's standing us up."

"Well, we summoned him. Doesn't he kind of have to-"

Dean turned to his brother. "If Crowley wants to screw you, he'll screw you."

"Or... he can't come 'cause something went wrong."

"Maybe."

There was a knock on the door and Sam took out his gun.

Dean turned to him. "Maybe it's good news."

Sam looked through a hole in the door, then opened it to let Meg in. "You deal with her. I can't anymore."