Chapter 19

19

On Sunday, George entered the cabin, again without knocking, but quietly this time and with breakfast.

From under shuttered eyelids, Elliott watched her set out the food, humming to herself and smiling as if she had just divined the meaning of life. Indeed, she probably thought she had, Elliott supposed. The girl was in love. In his opinion, nothing good could come of allowing George and Kit's shipboard trysting to continue, but it was Fury's business and he would not mind it.

From where Fury still lay against Elliott's side, he felt her breathing and heartbeat quicken apace with awakening, but she did not stir or open her eyes.

George left as quietly as she had come and done her duty, but then Fury's mother sauntered in and said, "Good morning, children."

Fury groaned. "Go away, Mama. Isn't there some young buck aboard the Silver Shilling who might interest you?"

"Too many to choose from."

"An old one, mayhap?"

"If I wanted an old one, I'd have gone with your father."

Elliott chuckled.

"Go find something else to do, then. Go! You are off duty. I forbid you to work. There. That is your order."

But, as mothers will do, she ignored Fury and sat down to breakfast. "Will you sing for us today?"

"Will you go away?"

"Aye, sing," Elliott croaked, his voice tight from hours of disuse.

"She sings like an angel," Mary sighed. "If there is one thing That Man did right, it was discerning her voice and seeing it trained."

"Mother, please ... "

Mary cast Elliott a sly glance and purred, "I like to see her all aflutter over you."

"Mother!"

That surprised a laugh out of Elliott, and his grin widened at the flush that now stained Fury's face. "Aflutter?"

"She laughed when she found her figurehead gone."

"Mother," Fury gritted.

Elliott leaned down to catch Fury's glance, but she pressed her face into his ribs. "You laughed?"

Fury slowly looked up at him, her eyes narrowed, and drawled, "I did, my lord."

Though they were both raw from that delicious game they had played hours ago, his yard roused for her again, simply for this little threat, which delighted and excited him at once.

Officer Mary cleared her throat when neither he nor Fury would look away first. "I apologize. I did not mean to provoke a spat. Besides, Captain Judas," she continued, and rapped her knuckles on the table to direct Elliott's attention toward her, "I think I might like you."

"Congratulations" Fury muttered. "You've the approval of both my parents."

That shocked him. "After that brawl?"

"He mentioned that he did not object to you."

"Does he object to That Man?" Mary asked, her words mordant. The undercurrent of stories untold running between Fury and her mother was thick.

"You know very good and well he does, Mother. Now will you go?"

Officer Mary balled up her linen and arose with a huff. The cabin door opened and closed with a bang.