Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir

Wendell

At dawn, the prince's feet kneel in front of a large grave surrounded by countless colorful flowers. More has definitely been added since he last came, and it is nice to see people still paying their respects months later. The years King Gus ruled brought much prosperity to Calestra even through hardships.

"Hello, Father. It seems like I haven't visited here in ages. Perhaps it's because of everything that has conspired these past few weeks. An example is the war with Khisenfire that ended for certain this time around. We recently received a letter from Queen Veronica--which wasn't forged--confirming this very truth. I was able to fulfill your dying wish though Henry did lose his life as a result..."

Knowing the real culprit, a pang of lingering guilt remains with this unfortunate outcome. Maybe things could have gone differently if he was just more on guard. Still, he won't take Henry's sacrifice for granted, planning to form an alliance between their kingdoms as his mother suggested.

"Now everyone can live without fear and Rainswood will be restored given all the damage they've undergone. Speaking of Rainswood, I'm currently engaged to a girl from there. I believe she would've easily won your favor, if you had the chance to meet her. It brings me so much joy that I'll soon be able to call Kana my wife," he continues, his initial frown being replaced by a soft smile.

Their wedding date is set in stone, yet it feels like a blissful dream. She forgave him of his previous mistakes and decided to accept the prince's hand. Although nervous about becoming a husband at such a young age, he's confident the two can tackle any obstacles with communication.

"I can share about her further on a future visit, but there is another important event which I have come to discuss. My long-awaited coordination ceremony takes place tomorrow. Then, mother will step down and I will be the new ruler of Calestra."

One rare experience did happen from that wicked alchemist's scheme. When crossing swords with Henry alongside Oliver a fire sparked inside him like never before. For the very first time, Wendell felt like he possessed the potential to stand as a decent king.

"I wanted you to know the once meek little boy who gave up so easily is far behind me. I thrive to follow your legacy as a righteous king whose good deeds can always be remembered. To accomplish this task, I must create my own unique path, but I promise to protect this country that will be entrusted in my care."

Wendell's eyes flutter open though immediately squinted, almost blinded by the powerful sunlight. It is shining quite brightly now compared to his arrival, which provides a distinct warmth despite the prince's disliking of summer heat. He believes these earnest words have reached his father, and saying goodbyes, the boy heads back home.

I don't need to aimlessly wander here distressed when tough problems arise. My heart is more confident than mere months ago, and I can face dilemmas head-on. Though in future years, I will still visit to inform him of the continual growth that I've made.

...

In the castle throne room, a family is presented to his mother with an apparent tremble visible with each step and sweat drops covering their foreheads. Uncommon for people of lower social ranking to randomly get invited to the castle, it makes sense that they would be nervous.

"T-To what do we owe this summonce, Queen Althelia?" Mr. Kensun bows as the two behind him quickly do the same.

"I am pleased you three were able to make it here this evening. I would've liked for us to have met sooner, but there was much business to take care of these past two weeks. Now, you boy." His mother's gaze moves toward the man's son whose body freezes up at her call.