Chapter 8

The alarm buzzed beside Cordy.  She swatted at it, turning it off.  Sighing, she rolled into a sitting position.  Her reflection stared back at her.  Dark circles ringed her eyes, giving her a not so attractive raccoon look.  She yawned and forced her feet towards the bathroom.  Maybe a shower would help…maybe.

A good night’s sleep would.  Ever since Reid had showed up at school she had slept poorly, tossing and turning, waiting for him to show up in her dreams again, but he didn’t.  After last night’s “study” session she hadn’t slept at all, terrified that she had finally gone over the edge.  It had taken all her willpower not to throw herself into his arms when they had found themselves alone.  How am I supposed to keep doing this?  

There was also the Noelle issue.  She had obviously decided that Reid was a way better conquest than Blaise.  Her behavior the night before, though laughable under normal circumstances, was painful to watch.  Cordy’s only consolation was that Reid seemed oblivious to it.

The first half of school was excruciatingly long, PE being the worst.  With her mind on other things, her already bad coordination went downhill quick.  At least with dodge ball she was able to sit out once she’d been hit, even if it was the first round, unfortunately the coach made them play multiple games, somehow sensing that most of the students were trying to get out.

The smell of overused frying oil and dirty dishwater engulfed Cordy as she filed into the lunch room, causing her to wish she hadn’t been so adamant that she be like the other kids and eat school lunch instead of bringing from home.  At this point, a veggie pita and apple might actually appeal to her.  Sunlight filtered through the skylights, spotlighting the table where Reid sat with Noelle.  The latter strangely quiet.  Trying to lighten the mood, she plastered on a smile and walked over.  Last night had forced her to realize that whatever was coming, Reid was going to be part of it, whether for good or bad.

“Hi guys,” Cordy said with false cheer.  If she didn’t know that Noelle would never forgive her for ditching her at lunch, Cordy would have gladly spent the time hiding in the girls’ locker room.  “Can you believe the amount of French homework we have?”

She knew it was lame that she had finally been reduced to talking homework.  If she didn’t watch out she’d start discussing the weather.  Neither answered her as she sat down, both staring at their plates.  Cordy made no more effort at conversation.  She’d never been the one to carry it, she’d never had to with Noelle around.  With the tension tangible, Cordy wondered why Reid was even sitting with them.  If he was quarreling with Noelle, surely there was no reason for him to be there.  It was in awkward silence that the bell mercifully rang.

Noelle was gone before the echo had died.  “What’s wrong with her?” Cordy wondered aloud.

Reid shrugged but the guilty expression on his face said he knew more than he was letting on.  He walked her to physics in silence, as well as English.  Several times she caught him staring at her, his eyes serious.  She felt he wanted to tell her something but he never said a word.  Cordy began to worry that something bad had happened at lunch before she got to the table.  It wouldn’t be the first time Noelle had alienated a boy by coming on too strong.  The idea crossed her mind that she could intervene, help work things out between them, but she pushed it away faster than it had come.  Her heart squeezed.  No, she couldn’t stand it if the two of them got together.

Cordy breathed a sigh of relief as they left English, knowing they had separate classes.  She peeked over her shoulder as they left the room and saw him turn the corner.  Nearly running to art, she was the first one in the room, Ms. Hall wasn’t even there.  The familiar smells comforted her; oil paints, chalk dust and a whiff of paint thinner.