Chapter Four... Buzz Kill

Buzz Kill

~ Jess

During the lesson, Samar, Grace and I were group texting. We were talking about a lot of things but our main focus was on Derek Hunter. While I was texting the girls, I could hear Mrs. Brown giving a lecture on enzymes or whatever. At this point I was only concentrating on one person: Derek Hunter.

Don’t judge me. Listening to Mrs. Brown talk wasn’t going to make a difference so I chose not to listen. Whether or not I concentrated didn’t grantee I'd understand anything anyway. After I became the cheer captain I had to sacrifice my grades and it was worth it.

I worked super hard for that position and I wasn’t not going to risk it for some dumb class. What the hell was an enzyme anyway?

Mrs. Brown's lecturing was really killing my vibe.

She had me singing, trig don’t kill my vibe. Gosh, she is such a buzz kill right now I thought as I continued texting my best friends.

"Can anybody tell the class what enzymes are?" Mrs. Brown asked in her annoying monotone voice that made anything sound boring. How the hell was I supposed to concentrate on anything that came out of her mouth when she sounds like her husband just died? I just rolled my eyes and continued with my previous actions.

The usual suspects shot their hands in the air, waving them around frantically. Even the geek across from me had his hand in the air. He was more composed than everyone else, which made me respect him for some reason.

 "How about someone who hasn’t said anything today. Anybody?” She asked and I froze.

Please, don’t call my name. Please don’t call my name. My fingers were crossed and everything. With my luck, I knew I would she would be saying my name anytime soon.

“Nobody, okay how about Jessica Baxter. " I winced at the sound of my full name. It was so plain and boring, I prefer Jess. Everyone knew that. Except Mrs. Monotone.

“You can call me Jess," I said, the words barely escaping from my gritted teeth.

Wait, she called my name? No!

"Okay then, Jess, enlighten us on the fascinating topic of enzymes." She ordered. When teachers did this I tend to get really annoyed. The fact that my hand wasn't in the air meant I didn't know the answer. It isn't a hard concept to grasp, is it?

Normally, I was totally fine with answering a question but only when I knew the answer. My mind was completely blank and I knew I'm not getting off the hook anytime soon.
All I could think about was Derek and I knew his name wasn’t the answer to the question I’d been asked.

My eyes darted around the plain classroom. The dull white walls in the October light disturbed my eyes. My mind quickly noticed that people were watching me. The one time I didn't want an audience, I had one.

In a moment of panic, I looked outside the window next to me and admired the beautiful nature. The delicate, tender air embraced my face and chilled my body. The air was simply marvelous and the sky extremely blue. Chalky, silvery clouds floated against it. The striking scenery captivated me so much that I almost forgot about class. Almost.

"Jess, I believe I asked you a question. Enlighten us on the fascinating topic of enzymes, now!" Mrs. Brown said, much to my annoyance. What was fascinating about something that sounded like a lung disease? There wasn’t really much I could do.

"Umm. I'm not really sure what enzymes are!" I said. "Not exactly anyway. They have something to do with cells." I added quickly. That had to be remotely correct. Almost everything involved a cell right? No one concentrated on my answer, thank goodness.