in little ways/everything stays.

A/N

restarting the chapter because my first attempt was trash!!!!!!!!
this will be better i promise :>
this is a loooong one too
tw for transphobia and mentioned slurs

Today was a bright sunny day at Hotel OJ – but no one had any plans to go out.

"Places everyone! We need to get these auditions up and running as soon as possible!"

OJ ordered the hotel's inhabitants about, while Trophy could only groan at the commotion as he descended the stairs.

"Whu's goin' on?" he grumbled.

A practically vibrating Cheesy bounced over, looking more cheerful than a child on Christmas Day.

"We have the auditions for Heathers, don't you remember?"

Trophy straightened his posture slightly, nervously looking to the side. Cheesy gasped loudly.

"Don't tell me you actually forgot! It should be fine though. Our audition times are later today."

"I-I did practice", Trophy rebutted. "I just forgot the audition was today."

"Really? I could barely sleep last night!"

Cheesy threw his hands about as he spoke. Trophy scoffed fondly.

"Still not gonna tell me who you're auditioning for?"

"Nope! It has to be a surprise."

"Fine, you're still getting nothing out of me then!"

The jock playfully shoved the comedian, who reciprocated the action.

"Heheh, I'm gonna go practice in my room. You'd best be getting yourself cleaned up."

Trophy looked at himself. He was in a baggy t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of mismatched socks.

"Yeah, I probably should."

With a wave and a short hug, the two split ways.

Paintbrush sat outside the hotel, absentmindedly scribbling the landscape in their notebook.

Art had been coming to them more easily since their little realisation. Everything they saw was something they could illustrate, and they couldn't have been happier. Coming to terms with their feelings for Lightbulb had lifted a huge weight off Paintbrush's back. So they were outside scribbling – namely due to all the preparations for the musical production taking place within Hotel OJ. They were in charge of the music, so they didn't have to attend till the actual rehearsals began. Those were in a couple days.

Baxter waddled onto their sketchbook, his empty eyes looking straight into the artist's soul.

"Er, do you need something, Baxter?"

He clicked his little claws rhythmically, waving his arms in a manner that mimicked Lightbulb.

"You wanna go on a walk?"

The crab jumped. Paintbrush raised an eyebrow.

"Crabs don't need to take... Whatever, where do you wanna go?"

Baxter pointed to the contestant grounds.

"We can't really do that, but what the hell, why not."

They placed the crustacean in their hair, tucking their sketchbook under their arm. With a hefty sigh, Paintbrush began their trek to the contestant grounds.

"So who are you gouise, (sniff) auditioning for?"

"We're auditioning for one of the Heathers. I was hoping to play Duke, but I doubt we'll even get in. We're just kinda doing this for fun."