18 | the one where she lost him

When she woke up the next morning, her stomach hurt, but she wasn't sure if it was because she didn't have dinner or because she remembered what had happened to Ben. The left side of the bed was still warm, but as she opened her eyes, she saw Minho walking around the room and getting ready.

''Minho?'' Y/n asked, her eyes still half-closed.

He turned round at the call of his name, a small, almost invisible smile on his lips. ''Hey. Mornin'.''

''What time is it?'' Y/n asked as she touched around the ground of her side of the mattress, trying to locate her watch.

Minho sat down on the mattress and pressed a quick kiss on her forehead. ''You still have five more minutes if you want to sleep in. I have to go earlier.''

''Earlier?'' Y/n asked, looking at him as he stood up. ''Why?''

''I'm running in with Alby today,'' Minho said. ''We're retracing Ben's steps. You're running with Ricky.''

Y/n quickly stood up at that. ''What? Can't I come with you guys? Alby isn't even a Runner. What if something happens?''

Minho sighed, placing a hand on her cheek. ''I know. But Ricky doesn't have a partner, we can't have him running alone. Especially with the Griever activity.''

''Fine.'' Y/n gave up - he was the Keeper, so he knew best. ''I'll see you at dinner, then?''

Minho nodded. ''Yeah. Can't wait.'' He leaned in, pulling her face closer and gave her a long kiss before he slowly pulled away, bid her goodbye and walked out of the door. Y/n frowned, realizing it was going to be another boring day.

Ricky wasn't a bad guy, not in the slightest. He was just a bit too flirty for Y/n's liking. However, that day he was quiet, still mourning Ben. That made Y/n feel even worse.

How was Minho feeling? He was acting normal, but he can't be feeling well with retracing his dead friend's steps, right? He might discover Ben's body. Or he might not, which sounds even worse. She wanted to make sure he was okay, but she couldn't do that until dinner later today.

''Hey, Y/n,'' Ricky spoke as rumbles were heard from the sky. ''It's about to start raining. We should probably go back, no?''

Y/n looked up, seeing the grey clouds making their way over them. Nodding at Ricky, she said, ''Yeah, let's go back.''

By the time they set foot back in the Glade, both Ricky and Y/n were drenched to the bone. Y/n noticed Newt, Gally and Frypan, along with Thomas, standing near the kitchens and she quickly ran over to them, halting when she made it out of the rain.

''There you are,'' Newt stood up straighter as she stopped next to him. ''I was wondering when you'd be back.''

Y/n nodded, looking around with furrowed eyebrows. ''Yeah, I'm freezing. Where's Minho.''

''He's still not here,'' Gally spoke, causing Y/n to shift her eyes to him, seeing his pursed lips.

''He's not?'' asked Y/n, looking at Newt for confirmation. He only shook his head. Y/n felt her chest tighten at the sudden worry, but she quickly dismissed it and walked over to Gally to sit down. There was no way Minho won't make it, despite being with a non-Runner. There was nothing to worry about.

Checking her watch, Y/n realized it's been about half an hour since she arrived back. Minho and Alby still weren't back and she'd unknowingly started bouncing her leg. Gally put a hand on her knee, telling her to stop and she apologized. He removed his hand and she started bouncing her leg again. Gally sighed, deciding to let her be.

''They should be back by now,'' Thomas said as he, much like everyone else, was staring at the walls. ''What happens if they don't make it?''

''They're gonna make it,'' Newt said with no hint of doubt.