Summer Days

The Fisher King myth:

The Fisher King is impotent, his lands infertile and drought-stricken; one cause of this infertility is a crime, the rape of some maidens in the king's court. Only the arrival of a pure-hearted stranger ... permits the land to become fertile again.

'Waste Land'

One thing very few people know: the King of Aristo is an ambitious man. He would do anything for power but noting for his family. Worst: The King of Aristo knew well how to hide behind smiles.

Percy had nothing to distract himself with when he sat, waiting in the forest. Kallias did not come. He had been angry, and his powers were buzzing under his fingertips, he overworked himself at the forge --picking up the next day's work and completed it in five hours-- exhausting himself in the process. Andras did not net him to work next day and did not let him stay more than a few hours the following days.

He knew it was because he cared for him, but now, he was given time to think and that's what he didn't like. The days he had laughed never existed. Percy felt lonely.

Was this his fate for this journey to the past? Achieve nothing and be normal?

If this was normal. He did not like it. He did not want it.

Percy stood up, his jaw clenched, and his hands fisted. He would not come back tomorrow. He would never take the route through the forest. He would go home and go to work in the forges the next day with Andras and convince him that he was alright. That would be life.

Percy walked and walked, and he did not look back until, "PERSEUS! PERSEUS WAIT!"

Percy hated how fast he turned when he recognized the voice. Oh gods. "Oh gods, Kallias?!" He grinned.

The boy, his friend stopped at a step's distance from him. He had grown. His voice was a bit different; his hair was shorter; he was taller and muscular; he wore a green chiton with embroidered seams, he was barefoot, his feet caked with mud. He was breathing heavily but a smile so big, splitting his face. "I'm sorry, Seus." His eyes still reminded Percy of his mother. Kallias took a deep breath, "My father had found I was sneaking out every day. I refused to let him order me to stay, and, in his anger, he gave me freedom to see you if I bested my teacher in a fight."

Kallias looked proud of himself. Then, "I missed you, Seus. I'm sorry."

Percy's anger had faded long ago. He took a step forward and hugged him like their life depended on it. Kallias wrapped his arms around him, and Percy could feel the callouses on his hands on his bare shoulders.

"I'm still taller than you." Percy said, his voice thick with emotion.

Kallias laughed.

They pulled back from the embrace, all laughs and smiles.

(Kallikrates had made a fault.) Percy patted his shoulder and froze, his eyes fixated on his neck, something around his neck. The abalone necklace, Kallias knew.

His eyes widened in shock, then realization. "You..." He gulped. "How did you get this?" Percy asked instead.

"We made this together." 

"I know. No, Kallias. I mean... When is your birthday?"

Kallias gave a strained smiled, his expression showed his panic. Still, he answered, "Θεσμοφόριος" First month of the year.