Chapter 30: Debriefing

He was groggy as all hell. He was half-convinced that he was swimming through a pool of molasses. His arms felt heavy and weak, and it was a chore to as much as wiggle his toes. He tried to open his eyes, but it was as though they were being held down with lead weights. He fell still for a few moments, and chose instead to listen and try and gauge his surroundings that way. He could smell the distinct odor of antiseptics and disinfectant.

A hospital then.

But that wasn't right, was it? There was a strange constricting sensation around his neck and the feel of cool metal around his wrists.

Was he restrained?

He supposed it was possible, though definitely strange. He had most certainly shot and killed the Joker, he remembered that much, but it seemed a stretch to find him to his hospital bed like that.

Feeling was slowly returning to him, and he could feel the weight around his eyes leaving him. Once more, he tried to open his eyes, this time to success. Although he was nearly forced to shut them again as he was nearly blinded by the white-hot light above him. As his eyes adjusted, he noticed that he wasn't in a traditional hospital first and foremost. The steel-gray walls lined with strange machinery told him as much. Maybe he was in a prison? But that didn't make sense. He tried to raise his arms and found that he couldn't. Sure enough, as he looked down, he noted that both of his arms were restrained with strange-looking handcuffs.

Growing more confused and equally anxious, he reached out with his senses and tried to sense where he might have been but he couldn't feel anything.

In fact, he couldn't feel his powers at all. Frowning anxiously, he tried to pull at the restraints, but nothing happened. That wasn't right, he should have been more than strong enough to free himself from a pair of simple shackles.

"We've dampened your powers," a familiar voice said from his right. Turning, he swore in annoyance as he saw an amused looking Canary, mask sitting cheekily on her face, looking down at him.

"Not the first thing a girl wants to hear when a man wakes up, but I suppose I'd be expecting too much from you."

"Fuck off!" Spat Percy bitterly, "What the fuck is going on?"

"You were shot," said Canary simply, "So Batman brought you here for recovery."

"Then why am I 'cuffed and how the fuck did you even suppress my powers,"

"Power dampening collar," said Dinah, pointing to his neck. Looking down, Percy saw that he did, in fact, have a strange-looking collar wrapped around his neck. That explained his difficulty breathing he supposed.

"Oh don't pout," chided Canary, "You could have destabilized the entire facility if you woke up swinging, and trust me that wouldn't have gone well for anyone involved."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Said Percy in agitation,

"You'll see," said Canary ominously, a cheeky smile on her face. Grunting in further agitation, Percy collapsed against the stiff pillows of the bed. Under normal circumstances, he would have fought with her more, but he was exhausted. His sustained use of powers took it's toll after a while, and the damage to his body had been severe. He would just have to bide his time he supposed. That was, unless there was something more going on here.

"So," he said, "You guys bring me here to kill me or something?" He was only half-joking, a reality that was evident given the tone of his voice.

"Please don't say things like that," said Canary, anger creeping into her voice, "We're not going to kill you,"

"You kidnapped me, trapped in the middle of gods only know where, handcuffed me to a bed, and took my powers away. What the hell did you think I was going to think?" Said Percy incredulously.