Chapter Nineteen

As I lost my footing and stumbled upon impact with the other person, the first thing that went through my mind was panic at them seeing that Robert's hand was still on me, gripping the bare skin of my arm just below my sleeve as he kept me from falling.

The second thought was that the blue eyes gazing at us were very familiar.

For several moments, I stood there, staring at the face beneath the cloth wrap. Then I surged forward, tearing out of Robert's hold so abruptly that it hurt a bit, and launching myself at my sister.

"Elizabeth!" I cried, grasping at her and trying to pull her closer, even once she was firmly in my embrace. She clung to me, as well, gripping my shoulders tightly. Robert stood there for a few seconds, just as surprised as me, and then I saw him glance around.

"Elizabeth, are you in hiding?" Robert asked, cutting through the emotional reunion. Elizabeth sniffled- I had not yet realized that she was crying- and nodded.

Robert nodded too, pulling us apart and herding us towards the deeper part of the garden. "Then let us move to a more discreet place."

As we walked, I realized Eli was there, as well, his own face covered with a hooded cloak. I reached for him next, but even as I embraced him, Robert was still there, guiding me further from the school.

Though I wanted to ask my sister and Eli a million questions- and perhaps strike them for all they grief they had caused me- it was Elizabeth who spoke first, frowning between Robert and I.

"Amelia," She asked quietly, leaning close so only I could hear. "I only came here because Charlotte told me that you had come here with Father after church when I went to sneak into the garden and throw rocks at the window to catch your attention- I am glad she is such a dear friend to you, and will say nothing of seeing me to even her sisters. But she said nothing of Robert being here, as well. What are you two doing together?"

I sighed, not quite sure how to explain how things had developed between us. Elizabeth had never held feelings for the Earl, so surely she would not be angry by the fact that we had mingled even while the two of them were meant to be courting, but I had to admit that our situation was odd and prohibited- though certainly not quite the forbidden romance that Eli and Elizabeth were.

"We were on our way to cause a scandal," I whispered back cheekily, watching as my sister's eyes widened in understanding. Her gaze flew back to the Earl, but she looked away again when she saw him eyeing our whispered conversation. "Surely you didn't think that you got to have all the fun?"

My sister slapped my arm, somehow still appalled by such talk after the impropriety of her own love affair. Curiously, I eyed her left hand. "Have you a ring?"

Though Elizabeth blushed slightly, she held up her hand, showing me a piece of yarn that was tied in a bow around her ring finger. While it was not fancy or made of gold and jewels, it sent a clear message across- she was taken.

"We left in rather a rush," Elizabeth admitted sheepishly. We came to the center of the garden, which was completely concealed by trees and hedges and rows of flowers, and I took a seat beside her on the bench as the boys loomed over us. "We did not have time to grab much- I took a few candleholders and pocketed a handful of my jewelry, but that was all. We were moving fast, you see, because we did not know how long it would take for others to notice we were not at the Festival and come looking for us. Are you very angry?"

I sighed. Now that my sister was here, safe and in one piece and in my arms- all of my anger and fear and hurt had melted away into relief. "I am not angry."

As Elizabeth pulled me into yet another embrace, Robert spoke, looking to Eli. "Do you have enough funds?"

Elizabeth glanced up. "Oh, My Lord, we will make do. We can-"