Chapter 07

11.26.2019

You would think Nick would want to leave early to get home as soon as possible, instead he chose to wait to leave at the very last moment. It's almost 11AM when he finally shows to pick me up. He helps me place the little amount of luggage I have into the trunk of his Mercedes and soon we're both off on this unexpected and awkward road trip.

I have always been content with silence. But today, it is exceptionally uncomfortable. I try to look out the window as we drive through the streets to get onto the highway. It seems neither of us has anything to talk about so the quiet air stretches on for what feels like an eternity until Nick finally speaks up.

"Can you grab me those crisps from the back?"

My eyes shift to him and then to the back seat where there is an entire shopping bag filled with snacks. I reach for it and manage to pull out a large bag of Salt and Vinegar chips.

At least he has good taste.

He mumbles a quick thank you before ripping the bag open and munching on the crisps while he drives.

"I'm thirsty. Hand me a soda, Melody. It's in the glove compartment," he asks a few minutes later.

"Is this why you offered to drive me? So you could have someone to hand you snacks?" I ask, leaning over to grab a can of coke.

He gasps dramatically. "Is that what you think of me? Obviously, it's because I didn't want to be bored by myself," he jokes.

"Funny," I humph.

"Grab something for yourself. There's enough for the both of us." He nods his head towards the back.

"I'm good. Thanks."

"Come on," he reaches for the snacks and after a few attempts of smacking his hand around on the seat, finally grabs the bag. "Here. Pick your poison," he offers, setting the bag on my lap, his eyes never leaving the road.

I look at the assortment of snacks inside, unable to decide what to eat and finally pull out a pack of MnM's.

Thankfully, Nick uses this time to connect his phone to the car and play some music. At first, I don't recognize the song but when it finally reaches the chorus, I realize he put on the song Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift. Needless to say, his choice has me startled, to say the least.

"Seriously? Taylor Swift?" I exclaim, surprised.

"What? She makes me feel things," he answers defensively.

I can't fight the smile that makes its way onto my face while I attempt to roll my eyes. When the song ends, it is followed by Young and Beautiful, surprising me yet again.

"Come on. First Taylor Swift and now Lana Del Rey?"

"She makes me feel things," he shrugs.

After that, Katy Perry's Firework comes on.

"Let me guess, she also makes you feel things?" I look at him with a raised brow, a tug of smile playing on my lips.

"No. This is just a fun song," he grins at me.

"You are so not what I expected," I muse.

"Really? And what did you expect?"

"I don't know. Rap songs that disrespect women," I shrug.

"Hey, I think women are beautiful. They deserve nothing but love and respect. I don't know what would give you that idea."

"Is that what you do with all the girls you hang out with? Respect them?"