[1]

Authors Note

This book 'TAKEN' is a complete work of fiction and the sole product of the author's imagination. 

Any resemblance to anyone both living and dead, places or people is coincidental.

Please, no portion of this story should be republished or copied without the author's approval.

Thank you for respecting the author's work.

kindly vote and comment.

Any grammatical errors or writing tips should pointed out at the com
Thank you for coming on this journey with me.

Please share the link with friends and loved ones. Your feedback and reviews are highly appreciated.

Copyright © 2022 by Deb Emanuel.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                                      [1]

             Madam Lukgud was just finishing my hair when I spotted an old-looking woman headed our way. My medium box braids were still in hot water waiting to marinate for a more relaxed braids.

My eyes followed her bent nature as she made it closer to the makeshift stall Madam Lukgud used for her hair-making business.

Our eyes met and I withdrew my gaze and focused it on other people making their hair in the large compound. Her grunt was loud enough to refocus my gaze on her.
She was now seated on one of the empty roughly made wooden benches in Madam Lukgud's stall.

    "Good morning," I mumbled, fighting off the urge to run.

Something about the old woman unnerved me. With all the stories about how old people, especially women could be witches or mind hunters filled my heart with fear.

            "Nne eze, welcome." I heard Madam Lukgud greet the old woman who hadn't lifted her gaze at us.

I also noted an echo of fear in my customer's voice. Her hands trembled while she dried my hair with a towel. My head lifted and turned towards her.

        "Are you okay?"

The woman nodded and continued drying my hair. I'd known Madam Lukgud for a long time since I was a little child. My mother always brought my sisters and I to her shop to make our hair.

She was never a fragile or fearful woman. Matter of fact, people feared her and avoided having issues with her, because she was loud and daring.
So, I was surprised to see her subdued and trembling at the sight of the old woman.

          "Nne Eze, odikwa nma?" (Nne eze, all is well?) Madam Lukgud meekly asked.
The old woman continued to stare at the floor while drawing lines with her walking stick.

         "Adaora, stop with this your ass-licking behavior. If I had a message for you, you would know." She paused without looking up. "And don't worry, no one is exposing your secret."

        "Then why did you come?" It was my voice that spoke.

I felt a hand cover my mouth before I could withhold my words. But unfortunately, it was too late. The words had already left my buccal cavity.

It was then that she lifted her head, her wrinkled face furrowed in a brow. Her eyes came at me like the lighting from the days of Noah. I shriveled in my seat, hoping to make myself invisible.