Chapter 28 - Jack Van Lowden

New York, Billionaire's Row, 10th January of 2022

"Your father was a very powerful man as well as Gerald Mulroney. Do you know if they had enemies?" Ethan Ritter, the Detective from the NYC police responsible for my father and Gerald's death investigation, asked professionally. 

After getting back from Connecticut, the first thing I did was contact the NYC Police so they could put me up to date regarding the investigation of my father and Gerald's death. I wanted to know everything they had found out until that moment and what had let them open an investigation in the first place. A few calls in and the first thing they tell me is that they think the breaks were tempered. Apparently, one of the teams that were in charge of overviewing and running tests on the parts of the helicopter that they managed to find, found it weird how the display of the breaks was and after further exams, they came to the conclusion that they had tampered with them and most likely caused the helicopter to crash. That's when they called my mother informing her about the opening of the investigation. Detective Ethan Ritter was then supposed to go to my mother in Connecticut so he could explain the findings. 

Instead, I persuade them to come to me. However, there was a problem with meeting the Police. I wanted to do it alone and without anyone knowing, it was already hard enough to take this information and I didn't want more family members to suffer the anger and be filled with questions without being able to move on. So, the best I could come up with was, to meet them during the day but not in the office. In the office, everyone would see and ask questions, and then I wouldn't be able to dodge Elle's inquiry about it. Pam was also on her daily trip to the supermarket and dry cleaning. I was in clear.

I rolled my eyes, bored with question

I rolled my eyes, bored with question. "Of course, they had enemies, Ritter. Your talking about two giants who founded a whole new market out of thin air, who at the time of their deaths were two of the richest people in the country. They are bound to have enemies."

Ethan eyed his colleague, a petite woman with light brown hair and eyes of the same color, who had presented herself as Julia McKnight. She couldn't be more than 27 years old if I could guess, which was a stark contrast to her male counterpart. The other detective looked to be well on 45 years old. 

"Mr. Van Lowden, just please answer the question," Julia said, trying to sound polite and not like she wanted to eat me alive because I thought that question was rather stupid. 

It was hard taking all that information in, especially, when I was still coming to terms with their death...there was no coming to terms after what I heard, there was only finding the person or persons who did this to them. 

"Fine," I say reluctantly. After all, I ask for the meeting not only to be informed about the progress of the investigation but as well to help them whenever I could. If there is one person who wants to find out the truth more than anyone, it's me. " In a competitive market like ours, the competition is our enemies. Companies that do what we do, are our competitors. Of course, I don't think any of these companies would be capable of doing this to either my dad or Gerald. As for enemies inside Dot Com, my dad and Gerald got along with everyone."