chapter 4: David

Present Day:-

"Mr Jenkins, Mr Stone is here to see you?" Martha calls over the intercom of my office.

"Great." I sigh to myself, that's all I need today is him. "Tell him I'm busy." I reply back.

"Sorry sir his being quite persistent."

"Well tell him I'm in a meeting." My voice a little louder than I should have. Martha has been my secretary since I started my business 5 years ago, she been with me from the very start. I still remember her coming in for her interview along with the other 20 other female applicants, but she stood out from the rest, she was organised, punctual but most of all she reminded me of my grandma Jentette being that much more older and mature than the rest. She is one of the most loyalist, kindest employee I have,even if she does but me in my place when I've over stepped the mark.

"Seriously fuck face, you dont want to see me?" Mase storms through my door before slamming it shut.

"Yeah like I said I'm busy not today." I stand from my desk stretching my legs. "So now your here what is so important you needed to see me?" I ask.

"Nothing, I was just bored and needed a break. " Mase makes himself at home sitting on the corner sofa picking up a real estate magazine.

Mase or as most people know him Mason Stone has been my friend since university, we met playing basketball together, he is the biggest player around refusing to settle down until his at least 40. When we both graduated I had this great idea of setting up my own business and once I got established I got Mase on board, his my right hand man but his great with all the legal side of things. Expanding my business quicker than I expected I managed to bag a deal on a 4 storey building in the city centre with the help of my trust fund my mother and father had saved for me over the years. My office sits perfectly on the 4th floor over looking the harbour docks, while I made sure Mase was on 2nd a few floors away from me, but that seemed to be an epic fail as he always makes some excuse to come up here and talk and then it always leads to one thing with him, a night out at a club getting drunk and trying to sweet talk as many woman as he can. He may be an absolute dick, but I trust this man with my life.

"Make yourself at home, why dont you." I grin waiting for his offer of a few drinks at the local pub nothing too serious as it's a Thursday night.

"So anyway, I was thinking how about we go for a drink after work tonight, nothing to heavy?" He drops the magazine down and looks up to me.

"And there it is, the question I was waiting for. Thanks for the offer but no thanks, I have the meeting scheduled tomorrow with that small town estate agency Morgans and co, they bagged that old manor house what William Stapleton owns and I want it on our books this is a deal I cant refuse. " I say straightening up my tie.

"Oh come on man, one drink that's all and il get you back to your lonely penthouse by 10pm latest." Mase chuckles.

"Fine. " I huff. Knowing he wont stop until I say yes, or the sly little digs about me going back on my own.
I've had my fair share of women in the past but I never bring them back to my home, always a hotel room and I quickly get up and leave the next morning before they wake. Since Nicola 9 years ago I've never had another relationship. People keep telling me to move on, my mother has even tried to set me up with her friends daughters but I wont let my heart get broken again. Never. Nicola was my everything, she was the first girl I ever loved through high school even throughout university we were committed to each other, or so I thought until I went to surprise her one weekend and walked in on her sleeping with another lad, she denied it off course saying nothing happened and that they just got drunk and fell asleep, but I could tell, her eyes told me everything. So when I finally had the courage to finish it with her, the truth really came out about how long she had been seeing this other lad along with a few others and how she only used me for the fame and money to get a better start in life. To be honest I think that totally destroyed me, the one person I really loved most about in this world, chewed me up and spat me out like a piece if dirt of the back of her shoe. From that day 9 years ago I vowed to myself I would never be broken like that ever again and so far it seems to have worked.