Chapter 33

"I'm gonna be okay, though, right?" Rory asked Hershel as they walked outside. "I mean, Karen and David, they were already sick. So if we were gonna get it, we'd have had it by now."

"It doesn't happen on a timeline." Hershel explained to the young girl. "It's different with everyone."

"But we could be okay?" The girl pressed, panicking a little, wiping the sweat off of her head with a grimace.

"Yeah, we could be. Everything could be okay." Hershel reassured the child. They both turned round at the sound of coughing, Sasha stumbling out of the door, sickly pale. She he'd up a hand to stop them from approaching.

"Gonna see Doctor S." Sasha breathed out. "I'm gonna be okay."

•••

Rory stood by Daryl and Michonne as they loaded up the car for a run. She was a little quiet, she wanted to go read comics with Carl, but Rick had told her she couldn't go near him, the man didnt want to risk Carl or any of the other kids getting sick. Her brows furrowed as her vision swam a little, the girl stumbling to the side, crashing straight into Daryl.

"Hey, you good?" Daryl asked, steadying her and clicking his fingers in Rory's face as she didn't respond. "Ivory?" Daryl shook her shoulders a little, her eyes were unfocused, mouth turned into a grimace.

Then she promptly passed out.

•••

Rory woke up choking on her own blood. It wasn't a pleasant thing, she had decided. Once it was all out, she just kind of stayed where she was for a moment. Where even was she?

The girl looked around the unfamiliar cell that she was laying in. Huffing out a stuttered breath, she swung her legs over the bed, choking on another cough.

"Gross." Rory whispered to herself. The last thing she remembered was standing by Daryl, but now she was here. Her mind ran faster before coming to a halt. Shit. She was sick.

•••

"What's going on? What are you thinking?" Rory looked up to the glass in front of her, Rick sitting on the other side.

"I don't like it in here." Rory whimpered. Rick frowning, placing his hand on the glass.

"I know it's not ideal, but... look, I'm pretty sure Glenn's in there, have you seen him yet?" Rick asked, trying to change the subject. Rory shook her head. "How about you go find him then? Keep him safe?" Rory nodded, before smiling sadly at Rick.

•••

"Rory?" The girls head turned to look at who called her name. She smiled a little before walking to Glenn, wrapping her tired arms around the man's body. "What are you doing in here?" Glenn fussed. "Please don't tell me you're sick too."

His pleading was answered as the girl in his hold began coughing again. Glenn shut his eyes tightly, feeling more sweat fall down his face in beads. He couldn't help but think of the pain that Rory was in. If he was struggling, he couldn't imagine how the girl was coping. With that thought in mind, he held Rory a little tighter as she stopped coughing.

"Come on." Glenn lead the girl to his cell. "You need to rest." Rory looked at her friend as he sat her down on his bed, un-tying the girls shoes and slipping them off her feet before urging her to lie down under the covers. He tucked Rory in all snug and paused when he heard a sniffle. "Sleep."

"I don't wanna." Rory whispered before looking to Glenn. "What if I don't wake up." Glenn's heart shattered a little, he hated seeing Rory cry. It was times like this that reminded Glenn how young the girl actually was. The man wiped her tears off her cheeks and kissed her on her head.