One

"What do you think?" Nancy asked.

"I don't know what to think," Allan replied.

Their day had begun like any other late autumn day. Allan practiced magic while Nancy ran the pawn shop she owned with her brother. They knew the day was going to be different from normal. Lord Jason, ruler of the dukedom of Stoneford, had made it known that he was going to give an address to his subjects at midday. The couple decided to go the gathering in front of the Lord's Manor and hear Lord Jason's address. It was supposed to be a diversion from their lives, both their ordinary existence, and their secret lives as the masked heroes the Defender and the Moon Spirit.

It was no diversion. Lord Jason announced that His Majesty, King William the Fourteenth, wanted it known that the masked man known as the Defender, who was also known to practice magic, was to come to Crown's Hold and meet with His Majesty. To assure that no false claimants appeared, His Majesty would require a test of the Defender's spells. The Defender would also have to be willing to pass other tests to prove himself.

Lord Jason stated that this call was being issued throughout the Kingdom, by every Lord of every dukedom. Each Lord was to publicly repeat the summons every ten days until the end of winter. At that time the invitation to appear would end, and the Defender would be ordered to Crown's Hold and account for himself.

For the rest of the day Allan and Nancy avoided discussing the subject. They waited until that night, when they were in their bed, and when Nancy's brother Davy was asleep. They kept their voices low while they talked.

"Are you going to go?" she asked.

"It's an invitation," Allan replied. "It doesn't sound dangerous."

"Still, it's an invitation from His Majesty. Nothing good comes from a summons to go to Crown's Hold."

"This could be different."

"How?"

"The artifacts we've found. There's enchanted weapons, and wands, and Goddess knows what else is out there. I alone, and you and I together, have battled men who have found these enchanted objects and used them for evil. No doubt His Majesty is concerned about that. He would want to know that we're looking for those things. He might want to help, to make certain they don't fall into worse hands than what's already happened."

She was quiet for a moment, then she said, "I suppose."

"Then there's what we did in Ironwood. There could be other ancient spells in the Kingdom becoming active again. We might have an easier time than we did, if we know what's going on, and what's happened in the past."

"That's true. I would also guess that His Majesty wishes to know more about magic. He might know if there are other mages out there."

"He, or someone in the Royal Court."

"There's also my idea of a school for mages. If His Majesty took an interest in the idea, it might succeed, no matter what folk think about the notion of mages gathering together."

He smiled to her. "There is that."

"But there's also the chance that His Majesty wants you, us, to work for him. Or that he's frightened of us, and wants us locked up."

"He might be frightened, but I think we've proven ourselves good and trustworthy."

She poked him with a finger. "That could be the trouble. Did you ever think of that?"

"I did."

"And?"

"I've brought down two dishonest Lords. I think I've shown that it's not wise to to challenge the Defender." He kissed her forehead. "Still, it would pay to be cautious."

"We'll go?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. I'd like to return to Elderwood and speak to Lord Neville. That's where I'm from. I helped elevate him to Lord of Elderwood. I think, of all the Lords we've met in the Kingdom, he would be the most likely to do more than repeat His Majesty's summons."

"You'd go alone?"

"Yes. He doesn't know you. Besides, I need you here to tell folk why I'm not around."

"You're not supposed to return from your trip escorting goods south for another few days."

"No. I shouldn't take me too long to fly up to Elderwood City."

"Hardly any time at all."

"The problem is that I can't be seen during the day. Well, the Defender can't be seen during the day."

"Is there anything in Damien's castle you need?"

He shook his head. "I have his spellbooks, and his narrative of the last days of the Great Mages. That's all I've ever had of him. It's all I've ever needed."

She exhaled. "I suppose you'll have to leave early."

"Before dawn."

"Then hold me, Allan. Hold me for the rest of this night." She smiled. "We'll do more when you return."