24. Bitter Sweet

'I came to say goodbye to Bran.' Jon said coming in, seeing Catelyn crying over Bran. She barely left his side. Jon knew that Everly was a mess that she had only got to see Bran once since the fall but Catelyn had always been a bitch. Jon didn't understand why. Everly was an angel. Maybe that was why. Everly was an angel and Jon was sure that Catelyn was a demon.

'You've said it.' Catelyn said annoyed as Jon approached the bed

'I wish I could be here when you wake up.' he told a sleeping bran 'I'm going north with uncle Benjen I'm taking the black...' Catelyn looked up to him with teary eyes not for Jon but for her son. Jon knelt before Bran, 'I know we always talked about seeing the wall together but you will be able to come and visit me at Castle Black when you're better I'll know my way around by then I will be a sworn brother of the nights watch. We can go out walking beyond the wall if you're not afraid.' Jon added.

'I want you to leave.' Catelyn said through clenched teeth they both looked at the door to see Ned. Jon got up and pressed a kiss to Brans forehead before heading out Ned close the door behind Jon. Ned approached Catelyn's taking slow steps before sitting down next to her.

'17 years ago you rode off with Robert Baratheon, you came back a year later with another woman's son and now you're leaving again!' cat told him exasperatedly.

'I am going. I can't refuse the king.' Ned reminded her but he was glad to be rid of her. he just wished it was under better circumstances with Bran. He knew that Everly was in knots about it.

'That's what they always say, all our goals but that's what you tell your family, tell your son... you do have a choice.' cat told him 'and you've made it.'

'You seem to forget how is in charge here.' Ned told her. 'I am to be hand of the king, Robb is Lord of winterfell... maybe you should have spent more time with Bran when he was awake and you wouldn't be such a mess right now.'

+++++++++

'You said goodbye to Bran?' robb questioned coming up to Jon, they were headed out, Robb was to be the new lord of winterfell in his fathers absence. 'He's not going to die I know it.' Robb told him

'You starks are hard to kill.' Jon remarked

'My mother?'

'She was very kind.' Jon lied.

'I'm sure she was... Next time I see you you'll be all in black.' Robb remarked as Jon saddled his horse

'It was always my color.' Jon added,

'Farewell snow.'

'And you Stark.' they shared a warm embrace before Robb headed off.

+

'Come here love.' Everly said picking up Rickon. 'You are in charge of telling your brother stories while I'm gone.' Everly told him and he looked up at her with teary eyes. 'you can sing him songs and tell him stories for me... wont you?' Rickon nodded. 'I love you so much honey,' Everly coed kissing his head as she clung to her.

"I don't want you to go.' He sobbed. 'don't leave me.'

'I wish there was another way.' Everly admitted but without Ned or Jon there was no real place for her, Catelyn would kick her to the curb no matter how much the children loved her. 'You be my brave boy, wont you?' Rickon nodded. 'I am going to miss you.' Everly whispered.

Saying goodbye to Theon and Robb was bitter sweet.

'My boys, so tall and handsome. Lord of winterfell.' Everly kissed their cheeks. 'Make your father proud. The both of you.' She had watched them grow. She had raised them from just babes. Theon was delivered to them when he was young and he fit perfectly in with the family. She was glad they still had each other to lean on as everything was about to chance.