Chapter Fifteen: For Acies

The depths of the storage district in Duodecant III's Planetary Operations module are an eerie place to be. The storage district is the only place in the entire duodecant where drones outnumber people five-to-one. Nevertheless, among the never-ending labyrinth of storage containers, load-lifter drones, and poor lighting, there are a few unfortunate individuals whose responsibilities include supervising and overseeing the safe handling of the vast stores of chemicals, equipment, and radioactive waste. These individuals work long hours for what they consider to be too little pay, and these individuals are the prime targets for someone looking to make a barrel or two of commonly used chemicals disappear. For the past thirteen hours, Nevistri has been ferrying various chemicals and mixing equipment from these storage facilities while investing some sea diamonds into the retirement savings plans of a few of the supervisors. As the supervisors pointed out to her upon receiving their investments, Planetary Operations rarely updates the security systems this deep into P. Op. It is not surprising that they are often buggy and short out unexpectedly. With so many containers to monitor, it is difficult to catch and report every malfunction on time.

Nevistri is syphoning a container of paint-thinner out of a barrel into an airtight bag that she can slip through the vents. The explosive production has been going well so far. The Spirit of the Dragon stinks while it synthesizes, but it has little to no scent once it forms. Still, it smells like a grey-hole tube while making it, and she cannot get the smell out of her nose. This bag is one of the last trips she will need to make. They already have sixteen kilograms of the solution created. Each batch produces four kilograms. A couple more runs, and they should be ready. She has heard chatter about the connection all around P. Op. From what she gathers, it seems like the connection will be established tomorrow evening.

She continues to syphon the thinner when she hears something clunk a few shelves down from her. The supervisor for this sector said that she had cleared all the drones from this warehouse, and the barrels are all properly secured to the shelves. Nevistri knows better than to wait around to see what made the sound. She stops syphoning immediately and re-seals the barrel, ensuring that it is appropriately secured to the shelf. Then she deactivates her shoes and uses her forearm thrusters to float away quietly. As she leaves, she hears the clunking sound again but closer. She turns a corner and increases the power to her thrusters as she makes her way to the primary bay doors. She does not see anyone in the compartment with her, which is odd if Station Security has found her. She lowers herself back down to the floor and stuffs the bag of thinner into Terrine's satchel before reactivating her shoes. She opens the bay doors and walks briskly out of the compartment when a strong metal hand grabs her by the throat, rips her off the ground and slams her against the adjacent wall. She claws desperately at the hand as the bay doors close behind her. A powerfully deep yet slightly feminine mechanical voice speaks to her.

"How long did you think your bribery would go unnoticed, Nevistri Orisan?" Iota says as she applies more pressure to her throat.

She stares into the single black photoreceptor that makes up the modified loader drone's head. She hears quick footsteps as a squad of security officers arrives at the scene. She gasps desperately for breath as Iota squeezes her throat. Suddenly she hears a familiar male voice shout:

"Iota, release her!"

She feels the drone loosen its grip, and she gasps for air. She pushes herself off the wall, and her still-activated shoes pull her back down to the ground. She sees a group of six officers, including Yonge Sabago, and led by Sergeant Jasek Straghn. Jasek helps her stand up, then turns her around and puts handcuffs on her.

"Nevistri, you are under arrest for theft, bribery, and for being an accessory to the murder of Stannous Argentum and Lyum Zekris. I will remind you that although you are being put into the custody of Station Security, you will be considered innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. I will now read you your rights...."