Chapter 3: Returning Home

The next morning, after a terrible night's sleep, Mason made his way to the airport with Garrett. They both had coffee in hand as they walked through the parking lot to the terminal feeling their escapades from the previous night.

Maybe it would've been a better idea to drink a little less last night. This flight's going to be rough.

Mason thought to himself as they made their way into the airport and Garrett finally opened his mouth for something other than a yawn.

"So, what's the plan when you get back to Impor?" Garrett asked as they passed mobs of people headed to the different ticketing booths.

"I'm going to meet with my dad and see what he can do, maybe he can give me some advice." Mason said as they approached the security line. "Then I'll go drop my things at Millie's place and meet with Mr. Pike like you said last night."

"You're going to meet with your dad?" Garrett replied in disbelief as they stopped in line in front of one of the ticketing counters.

"He's the best lawyer in Impor, disregarding our past issues I could use his help," Mason said as he dropped his bag at the counter. "Maybe I can get him to do it for free." Mason chuckled softly as he pulled his ticket from the machine.

"I know you wouldn't come to the decision lightly, so if you think it's the best thing for you," Garrett said as they headed toward security check point. "I have to get to work, enjoy your flight."

Mason could hear the tension rise in Garrett's voice; he was actually surprised he came into the airport with him after his previous experiences here.

Mason couldn't help but chuckle as he put his hand on Garrett's shoulder. "Awe, what's wrong buddy. Don't want another cavity search like last time."

"Screw you for bringing that up man," Garrett said as his face turned red. "I swear I was holding that shit for Darren."

"You should have been holding it somewhere else." Mason replied again laughing harder this time as Garrett pulled away.

"Yeah, yeah whatever man. Tell my sister I said hi when she gets back from vacation."

"I will, thank you for everything Garrett, I really appreciate it." Mason said as they hugged for a moment and parted ways. He was profoundly grateful to have a friend like Garrett in his life.

He made his way through security and to his gate where he sat down and waited for his flight. Luckily, airlines had evolved significantly in the last few years, so he only had to wait a few minutes before his flight was boarded. He checked his ticket for the first time and was surprised to see he had a first-class ticket, obviously thanks to Garrett.

The next few hours where a blur as Mason made his way back to Impor. Amazingly enough the seats in first class were far more comfortable than Garrett's couch had been, so he was able to get some additional rest on the plan hoping to take a chunk out of the massive hangover he was experiencing.

It didn't feel like long before the plane made its final descent and they all quickly deplaned. As he made his way through the airport, he was surprised to see his father waiting for him when he arrived in Impor with a somber look on his face.

"Mason, I'm so glad you're back," his father said as he pulled him into a tight hug.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Mason asked in confusion as his father continued to hug him. "How did you even know I was going to be back?"

"I wanted to make sure you made it back safely," his father replied. "Your mother has been worried sick about you."

"I'm fine," Mason said as they made their way out of the airport. "That still doesn't explain why you came or how you knew I would be here."