Chapter 14: Alphas

About an hour into the evening, I sighed as Jackson continued to drone on. Occasionally he'd stop speaking to scroll through something on his phone before returning his attention to telling me about some vapid interactions he'd had with celebrities or a new incantation he was developing that was going to 'revolutionize' magic. Jackson's spells would never work because he didn't really know what he was doing. Jackson had a lot of power but not a lot of skill when it came to the intricacies of weaving magic, although I didn't have the heart to tell the man that.

Just like I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't sure I wanted to be with him anymore.

So I let him go on and on about work on what was supposed to be a romantic evening for the two of us until the plates were cleared and we were left staring at one another awkwardly. I couldn't believe I'd once found his tirades about his job charming, found it impressive that he knew so many celebrities.

"Let's go to the bar..." The man's words were slurred as he stood from the table, knocking over his empty wine glass as he began making his way to the bar area where live Jazz music filtered into the hallway and welcomed in new patrons. I'd had a couple glasses of wine myself just to make it through the dinner, so when I stood to follow the man, my limbs felt somewhat unsteady. I was nowhere as bad off as Jackson, though, and the man held onto the door frame to keep his balance as we made our way into the restaurant's exclusive drink area that served appetizers from the kitchen.

We made it to the bar, a beautiful, sturdy oak bar with a mirrored backboard. All I could think of when I looked at it, though, were the trees which had been used to create the thing. The carvings on the bar were breathtakingly intricate. If I wanted to, I could probably encourage a tree to grow into the shape of the bar, but it would never have the same sort of intricate patterns as this wood, which was hewn by human hands. Humanity was capable of producing such beauty.

And violent destruction.

"What can I get you folks to drink?" The bartender, a charming woman with a smile that I was sure got her good tips, asked in a voice that drew me from my mental wandering about the bar.

"Oh, just a ginger ale for me. Jackson?"

The man snorted and sneered when he heard my drink order, no doubt judging that I didn't want more alcohol, but the expression slipped from his face as he ordered a whiskey neat. In truth, I wasn't opposed to a good whiskey every now and then, but I'd had two glasses of wine already, and I really didn't feel like drinking anything stronger.

Not around Jackson, at least.

And I didn't know what that realization meant for me.

Sighing, I looked at the glass the bartender placed in front of me before taking a tentative sip of ginger ale then casting my eyes about the space. I told myself I wasn't looking for the demon, that he'd surely be gone already considering dinner had taken Jackson and me so long, yet what I told myself I was doing and what I was actually doing were two very separate things.

I was looking for Kai because I wanted to see the demon. Sure, he was going to try to turn me into the anti-Christ, but he had the sweetest smile.

And lips.

And—

"You look fantastic in that dress."

Jackson's hot alcohol breath was on my neck as I felt his hand slide over my body then grip my ass. I sighed, ceasing my search for Kai as Jackson's hands grew greedier while he led me to a darkened corner partially shielded from the stage and noise of the live band.

"You're drunk, Jackson. And this is the dress you chose."

"Tipsy." He whispered before ignoring my comment about the dress and placing our drinks on a nearby table then pinning me against the wall. He waited for a heartbeat, staring into my eyes before crushing his lips against mine, drawing me into a reluctant kiss. The man made a noise of desire as he ground his hips into me, and I gave myself over to kissing him back, hoping that the action would show me why I'd even agreed to be with the man in the first place.