Chapter 10 - The Two Kingdoms Period

By the 17th century, two powers are taking hold of the Philippine islands: the British and the Spanish. The British had hold on the island of Palawan and the western parts of Mindoro and Panay, while the Spanish had the rest of the archipelago. But the rivalry of power and dominance between them and are going to war. But when the monarchs of both empires realized that this pitting against each other causes social damage for the Baybayins, they decided to end their rivalry with the Treaty of Manila of 1712, ending their rivalry and instead focus on trade. Despite Spain's past attack on England via the Spanish Armada more than a century ago, both empires coexisted peacefully in the Philippine islands, trading and exchanging with one another, as well as with other civilizations like China and Japan, despite the latter's lack of trade due to the Edo period.

   When the 18th century entered, another power was craving for land and resources: the French. After the French Revolution, the first French ships landed in the shores of the island of Palawan. And what they saw was a harmonious society: the British and the Spanish having conversations, a Baybayin priest helping a Jewish trader getting his goods onto a ship, and a Spanish Catholic priest having a chat with a Chinese merchant. The French captain couldn't believed his eyes, so he commanded a non-violent landing and talk to the inhabitants. The conversation was going smoothly, and they and the locals, alongside their chieftain, signed a trade agreement.

   While at the same time, many Baybayin kingdoms merged into two large kingdoms: The Northern Kingdom, which includes the entirety of the island of Luzon, the islands of Palawan and Mindoro, and the island of Romblon; and the Southern Kingdom, which includes the islands of Cebu, Negros, Cebu, Bohol, Samar, and Leyte. But still, they coexisted peacefully, with both rulers based in Manila and Cebu. Also, the British and the French, despite being rivals, agreed to share the island of Palawan without any conflict.