Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

irritating

adjective ~ causing annoyance, impatience, or mild anger

I woke to a startling pain.

My eyes flew open, hands wrapping around my midsection as the cramping pain began. My stomach felt hard and ached, and I took deep breaths. It thankfully lasted barely a few seconds before disappearing and I exhaled loudly.

Slowly rising so I was sitting upright, I massaged the taut skin around my midsection.

"What are you doing to me?" I muttered.

The babies were steady, and I tuned into their hearts to find them perfectly normal. Kate had warned me about Braxton Hicks, or false contractions, and how they could go on for weeks, so I hoped that this would be the case.

"You need to stay in there for another couple of weeks," I told them, patting my belly. "I have to prove your dad wrong."

One of them kicked, and I laughed softly. I was glad they agreed with me.

The door suddenly opened, warm brown eyes peeking through a crack in the door. I raised an eyebrow at the familiar face, wondering if he was going to be brave and come any closer. When he didn't move, I laughed.

"Charlie, what are you doing?"

He stepped inside so half of his body was visible, but his hand still gripped the wood of the door as though he would bolt at any moment.

"I heard something. I thought you hurt yourself." He muttered.

He was acting like a small child.

"No, I'm okay. It was just a cramp."

"You sure?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yes." I laughed, shaking my head. "I often get cramps after sleeping."

"That sounds painful."

"It can be. Especially in the middle of the night." I grimaced.

He grinned, stepping further into the room. Charlie, much like Phoenix, was in shape. But where Phoenix seemed to pack on muscle, Charlie was a leaner, softer tone. His skin in the summer would become dotted with a few freckles, turning a nice olive colour. His eyes, the warming chocolate brown, always seemed delighted at everything around him and his hair was just as dishevelled as his personality.

"Are you done eye-fucking me?"

I blinked, glaring at him. "I was not eye-fucking you."

"Seemed like you were. Staring at me like that." He teased.

"Don't you have a job to do?"

"I am doing it."

"Oh, yeah?" I raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Being awesome."

I let out a low whistle. "Wow, happy twelfth birthday."

He glared, grumbling at me. "I thought you were being nice for a change."

"I am nice." I crossed my arms and returned the glare.

"You always take the piss."

"You are easy to take the piss out of." I teased right back.

Instead of being annoyed, his lips quirked into a smile. "I prefer this Nova to the angry, pregnant one."

I rolled my eyes. "I am not angry all the time."

"May as well be." He shrugged.

I grunted, smacking a pillow with exasperation. "What are you here for, anyway?"