~ Chilling

Today was the day I got my report card. You know, the piece of paper that determines whether you're going to college or university or not? Especially when you need to know your average in every class for a specified program you applied to. Yeah. That thing. It extremely crucial when it's your midterm report before the summer leading up to college or university because that means it's make or break.

Sadly, I don't know if I'm going to be going to either. My report was sad. I'm failing in all of my classes!

Just kidding, I'm a straight B student. Do you think I'd let myself fail? Well there is one class that I'm failing. That's P.E. My midterm mark in Phys. Ed. is just below the passing percentage, which is 50%. My mark is 45% to be exact! How does that happen?

"Marian is the ideal student: One who maintains an excellent exercise habit in the class. She needs to participate more and remember to bring her gym clothes to class. Otherwise, great physical activity,

"How does that happen?!?!?" I shouted while reading what the teacher wrote.

"I'm surprised Ms. Norman gave you that high of a mark. And implied that you went to class! You never show up, let alone participate."

"As right as you might be, Erykah, I have priorities. It's not my fault my hijab just happens to break during that period."

" Whatever, Mary." Erykah laughed.

I don't really need a high mark in physical education. It's gym class. Unless I'm going to be a fitness instructor or some contortionist, I definitely don't need an exceptional mark in gym. Besides, I only applied to college which only requires a 65% average in total. How great is that? I've already been accepted in the psychology program so my life is did. You don't even need to go to college to become a fitness instructor! Where's the fun in that?

The question that continuously aches my mind when report cards come out is; Why did we have to get these today? Why do we get them at all? The fact is, I know my marks aren't where they could be or where they should be. Comparing my marks to Erykah even when she's an honor roll student makes me want to cry every time she tells me her grades! You know, she's a straight A but she doesn't tell anyone because she's too hipster? She told me she wants to be a neurologist specializing in biochemistry! You know much flipper-di-dappery stuff she's going to have to learn? Books upon books upon books! Her average is so high that Jack's bean stalk couldn't even reach it. Actually it's only an 82, but that's still better than me. You know that She's so hipster that she tie-dyes her report card before giving them to her parents. That was not true but as far as a stretch that remark was, it seems like she's that hipster. It's not a jealousy thing... I just know my marks could be higher. You could say that I'm suffering from a mild case of senioritis. The high-school condition that happens when you're in your last year in school and you just get lazy and lay around literally doing nothing productive. That's my excuse for my average-but-could-be-better marks.

Since it was the end of the day, Erykah and I decided to walk home together, like usual. We went to our lockers, which were separate from each other, and met up back in the school lobby. I never realized how much of a blessing in disguise it was to live 2 blocks and a bit away from our school. Some people at our school have to bus to school! How ridiculous!

We walked down our pale-grey street with gum every few steps to our houses. The street we lived on was dirty. If you wore white shoes on the sidewalk they'd probably turn grey. Nonetheless we kept our house clean.
Erykah lived right across the street from me. She had a big beautiful house that almost looked like a modernist's dream. It was like a glass house for humans except not. It was white with cubes upon cubes. My house was 2015 and hers was 2060. But to give a touch of 2015, she had a very big window in her living room facing the front of the street, just like I did, and a very normal living room, just like I did.