Chapter 3 - The Gentleman's Talk

Neville Annesley took a sip of wine from his tall crystal glass as he looked out the window. The peak of the nobles party on the first day was almost here. At this moment, the nobles took turns entering Marquiss Finley's residence with modest steps.

Guests who come from other cities were given rooms, so that they could socialize optimally for almost a week. A party at the wealthy manor Finley's house was held simultaneously to celebrate their twentieth wedding anniversary. This was also an event for young and noble people in London to introduce themselves.

This event became so important because almost all the nobles with high titles were present. They didn't just want to socialize. many of the gentlemen exchange information, find new business partners and other productive things. It was not uncommon for them to share new agricultural technologies or discuss politics carefully.

But for a noble man like Neville, his presence had only one meaning. He was put on the list of bachelors seeking wives by the gossiping nobles present at Finley's mansion. Just like some of his classmates at the Eton academy who now had a talk with him reminiscing about the past.

Not much fun chat. Because Neville as a teenager wasn't so wild. He didn't party at gambling houses let alone date brothel girls like some of his friends. Of course, he wasn't an innocent man with no experience. His several military missions to British royal colonies such as South America and Canada have brought him acquainted with dozens of beautiful girls who didn't care about their virginity. Most of them were not even virgins. Many widows were also reluctant to form a serious bond. but they were picky about which men they were willing to date.

Of course Neville was always a target. He was a gallant British royal officer. His limp blonde hair was cut not too short. God created him perfect, complete with clear blue eyes reminiscing the Pacific Ocean. A symmetrical high nose that fits perfectly on the face and slightly thin lips that create a mysterious impression.

He was a soldier so that he was physically fit and athletic. He had fought on the front lines against colonists in South America. His British accent and deep voice made women yearn and subconsciously bite their lips when they looked at him. His slightly cold but occasionally warm demeanor shows the contents of his fairly clever brain.

He was also a military doctor. He was now almost thirty years old, but as a man he actually didn't really have a biological clock in which he had to rush into marriage. Unfortunately, two months earlier he received the news that his father had passed away. He didn't have any other male siblings so he couldn't help but inherit the title of viscount. Being the main Lord in the Annesley family made the urge to marry even stronger.

Everyone was worried that one day their new viscount who had just been promoted to captain would die in the war without any offspring.

That's why this was where Neville is. to silence the insistence of his uncles and aunts and make his father rest in heaven— Neville had come to the party looking for a future wife.

He was not very picky. The important thing was that she was a girl from a respectable and healthy family. Neville also hoped she wasn't an empty-brained girl and able to talk on topics heavier than weather and flowers. But she also had to be innocent enough to think that all they needed to do was kiss and hold hands to make babies.

"Have you met my sister Corrina?" one of his colleagues asked. He was the son of a Count who unfortunately would not inherit the family title because he already had an older brother.

"Not yet, where is she?" Neville's response was friendly.

"The one with curly hair, she's tiny but you might like it when you talk to her. She'd love it if you asked her to dance," said his acquaintance who wasn't really familiar with him. Neville was tired. He wasn't stupid, he'd been surrounded by people with obvious intentions.