Chapter 65 :: Realization

Fear is a strange thing

Fear is a strange thing. It either fuels your adrenaline or paralyzes your movements, either you have the urge to fight or the flight response is more active.

It all depends on you, as a human

She couldn't have gone unconscious for more than a few minutes, yet by the time she finally snapped back to reality, the ground was crushed and large snakes slithered and hissed. She blinked, realizing hitting her at the man kneeling before her, roughly grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at him. In the corners of her eyes she could see her comrades; Shizune, Itama and Kawarama all bloodied and bruised, and unable to move.

She wanted to scream, to run, to do anything and yet her body was paralyzed with fear, and her throat felt tight and clammy.

"You know, I've sorta missed you," Kabuto mused, as if they'd been friends all this time. "You're full of surprises, and I've always loved surprises." He leaned closer, and she felt uncomfortable with the way he stared at her. "Perhaps I should steal you away. Take you with me to serve under Lord Orochimaru. We'd make a fine duo, hm?"

Tears pricked the corners of her eyes, trembling when his finger gently rubbed her lower lip with amusement. He sighed.

"Always quick to cry are you? You crybaby." He scolded, and his hands shifted to wipe the tears threatening to fall. "Come now, were you not a shinobi? So feisty and brutal, and yet here you are, sniveling like a baby. It's high time you start acting like a proper shinobi, and not a child."

A sob escaped her lips, leaving the male to roll his eyes. He leaned closer, a hand resting on her thigh, and rested his head against hers, all while observing the trembling woman and jiangshi not too far away.

"So sensitive," he murmured, pulling away slightly to tilt her head forward. "Incredibly childish too." His hand grabbed her throat, digging into her jaw as he pulled her forward, his lips pressing harshly against hers before he pulled away with a sigh. "Now behave, or I just might be tempted to do worse."

An empty threat, but nonetheless it caused the girl to bite back her cries, relief rising in her chest when he pulled away with the statement that he'd return, and she was left to curse at herself for her own weakness.