Chapter 29

"Do you need me to wait on you?"

I straighten up in my seat. "Jess's dad will drive me home. Her mum just really wants to see me. She feels like I can shed some light on her relationship with Thom."

"Which you won't," Joe butts in and voices.

"I'm just going to tell her what I know. That's all a mother can really ask for in these circumstances. I know that, if it was me, I'd want to speak to the ones that she's close to and try to figure things out as to where and who she might be with."

"We know who she'll be with," he mutters while turning into a housing estate.

I tilt my head to the side and shrug. "We don't know anything for certain, Joe. Marie is just a worried parent and you can't sit there and tell me that you'd be fine to just sit about and do nothing if it happened to one of your kids."

He glances at me briefly before looking back to the road. "It doesn't make sense to me," he says on a small sigh. He slows and takes the next right before coming to a stop when we reach Jess's parents' house that's fourth on the left. "It strange how you can go from scared to be going out of the house, to suddenly wanting to go out and see someone."

"Joe, don't start." My words are said as a warning and I hope he drops whatever it is he's going to try and start. "I've explained to you why I'm going to see them. I've told you I'm going to try and help in any way I can. You just have to trust me."

"I do trust you," he defends quickly. He turns to me and takes my hand in his. "I just don't understand how it has to be now. You could have called them up and arranged to see them another time. It doesn't have to be today."

I recoil and pull my hand free from his grasp. "I just found out my best friend is missing yesterday. It's clearly obvious as to why it has to be today."

"There's no car in the driveway, Leigh. You can see why I'm suddenly concerned."

I look out of the window at the house that sits up off the road. Its sloped driveway has no grey Honda CR-V SE that's usually parked up at this time of the day. Marie normally works nightshift and because she needs the car during the day, she'll drop her husband, Tony, off at work before going home for some sleep.

I can't explain as to why the car's not there. I'll just have to make something up to try and cover my tracks.

"Marie said Tony was taking the car to the garage to get a new tyre fitted after he got a flat. He'll be home soon," I lie so easily.

"Alright," Joe nods. "Just call me when you're on your way home so I know when to open the gate and let Tony in."

"I will do," I smile. I take my seatbelt off and lean over to kiss him. "I love you."

"Love you, too."

I get out the car, closing the door behind me, and wave to him as I start walking up the paved driveway. I hesitate on knocking the door as I know Joe is still parked up and waiting for me to go into the house. I turn to look back at the car and gesture for him to go as I'll be fine.

He nods at me and the car starts. Slowly, it pulls away and watch it drive off down the road till it turns to the right and disappears.

"They aren't in, sweetie." An old woman tells me unexpectedly.

I look to my right at the old woman standing by her opened front door, her grey hair still in rollers and newspaper in hand.

"Are they not?" I respond with a small smile.

"They left an hour ago to go to the police station to do an appeal. They won't be back for a while."

"Well," I start as a black BMW pulls up in front of the house, "can you let them know that Jess's best friend stopped by?"