Epilogue - Final Curse

1.

All is silent in and around Mansfield Mental Hospital, the only sound being the wind whistling through the trees and other leafy things that are littered around the building. The sun is high in the sky, about noon height, and the birds are all around, but yet none come to rest on the building, nor on any of the trees or leafy things around the building, as if there is something in the building that is dark and dangerous. The building itself had a sort of grandness to it that was also heavy on one's soul merely by the sight of it. It was - to say the least - a supernaturally influenced feeling.

Inside the mental hospital, all was still and silent, the only sounds being those that were outside of the building, inside all sounds seem to be somehow muffled so that they were barely audible inside the building. The damage that had been done on that fateful night - last night - was still there, sitting or lying wherever it had come to rest by whatever cause. The blood was still there, having dried wherever it had come to land by the various horrors that had taken place on that fateful night, but yet there were no bodies; absolutely none whatsoever. But if one were there, they would feel a certain presence in the air, as if there really was someone there with them in the bloodied and damaged halls. But that presence wasn't one of darkness or even horror, rather one of perpetual sorrow and wandering; sojourning, if you will.

2.

Malcom awoke suddenly with a start, his eyes fluttering at the immense bright light that surround and engulfed him. It was like being in the presence of God; at least that's what it felt like to Malcom. He slowly at up, for he was lying on his back, but when he got to standing up he suddenly felt the sensation of falling, and that immense bright light faded away to black, to utter darkness. And when Malcom had realized that he was no longer falling - whether that be literal or merely how it felt, Malcom knows not - he saw that he was standing inside the mental hospital, standing directly next to two paramedics who were working on someone, the person was bloodied beyond recognition, but Malcom recognized the watch that was on this person's wrist, and with utter horror he came to realize the truth: that man they were working on was him. But he was already gone; he was deader than dead, so to speak.

Eventually, the paramedics stopped and declared him dead, and after placing him on the gurney, covering him with a white sheet, which almost immediately began to seep into a deep red as it absorbed his blood, which was still not all the way dried. One of the paramedics stood and turned, looking directly at Malcom, just staring at him; his eyes suggesting that he knew, somehow, that there was someone there. The other paramedic asked him what he was looking at and he said nothing. With that they turned and walked away, never to be seen by Malcom ever again.

And all at once, Malcom realized that he was like Mel's ghost had been: destined to wander the halls of the place in which he was killed, along with the insane ghosts of the patients that were under 1543's control. But Malcom smiled a little; knowing that Mel - rather 1543 that was indwelling Mel's body - was dead. He had won. But as he walked a horrific thought occurred to him, one that he knew he'd never be able to truly answer: what if he did not really win? What if 1543 had taken possession of someone else or was looking to do so? What then?

Malcom stood there, both shocked and horrified by those thoughts, but then came to realized that it didn't matter there was nothing that he could do now. It was over, one way or another.