Chapter One - The Awakening of James Island - Part Two

Walking toward the nearest shuttle pod station in East Belam's Way, it took James a moment to realise someone was calling him.

A hand grabbed his shoulder, turning him roughly.

Large blood-shot eyes met his. An old man with a bony face, rough pocked skin and dirty wind-swept hair studied him. He reeked of sweat and dirt. There was an uneasy quiver to his demeanour, causing James to repel from his sudden closeness.

"A man who knows his fate is a man who can control it." The older man's voice was strained, yet not unpleasant, with a shakiness that made James think of someone unwell. "Aye, so it is. Tell me, young man, do you want to know how you'll make your riches, or when you'll meet your beloved who'll rob you of them? Eh he he."

James reeled at the harsh odours attacking him. "Sorry, another time," he told the beggar. Many were known to trick you, play a game or provide a service of some kind in exchange for coin. He found it best not to humour any of them.

A wild laugh left the man's cracked lips, his eyes widening. "Ha ha! It's you! It's you, sir! I know you, don't I?" His laugh turned into a bout of terrible hacking coughs. He looked James over, a moment of confusion twisting his face into an ugly scowl, showing yellow stained teeth.

"Sorry, you've me confused for someone else." James took a step away, trying not to appear rude, but the man persisted.

"Now I know it's you. I see it, so I do. I see all now. Can't help otherwise. 'Tis a curse, aye, so it is. One of many." He leaned in closer, his eyes glaring like he was about to share the secrets of the universe. "I can tell you what you want to know. Everything you've been yearning to know. I can tell you! For... some spare coin. For an old friend, would you? For old times' sake? Times have—well, they sure ain't what they used to be. Eh he he."

Though hearing the distant sadness in the man's troubled voice, James now saw through the act of a beggar at work. "I'm sorry; I've no money on me right now."

He turned from the man, hoping he wouldn't be followed.

"James Island!" the man bellowed, sending a shiver through James's core. "That's you, isn't it? Prince James, as I recall. Your Majesty." He performed an awkward bow, stumbling in the process.

James stood frozen a moment. He studied the strange man. Everything about him was dirty and weathered, the look of someone who had spent many seasons travelling and sleeping rough. The man's dark green eyes could have showed intelligence in them once, but were now dulled with a weariness that hinted at a troubled soul.

"Now I'm sure you've the wrong man. I'm no prince." The words passed his lips and James wasn't sure if he believed them himself.

He was finally allowed to walk away, though the beggar was soon by his side once again.

"Yes, that's right," the stubborn man continued. "You and your father. You don't remember your visit? Oh, but what world was that? What a world it was. What a world it is now, I ask you? Hah!" He circled James, a jerky bounce in his step, energised by his search for memories. "But you are James Island, are you not?" Wide bloodshot eyes studied him intently, a desperate hope behind them.

James found no reply for the man. Ahead was an alleyway which he was sure would lead to the nearest shuttle pod station.

As they entered the alley the man let out a frustrated growl and grabbed James by the arms. The force of the hold made James drop his book.

"Why do you lie?" the beggar spat. His voice became a hideous snarl, a wild look blazing in his eyes. "You think I'm crazy. Unless it did happen to you. Do you see the hood, too? Do you taste the blood? Tell me!"