The Secrets We Keep

Johanna woke up late. She rarely got to sleep in, and when she did she savored it. She got up slowly, made some coffee and showered. By the time she was dressed for the day it was nearing noon. To feel at least sort of productive, she figured she would go for a walk. It wasn't raining, for once, but it was still chilly outside. So, she grabbed a jack and headed out.

The walk was nice. She toured a near by park watching kids run in the grass. She saw multiple squirrels and pigeons about, as well as a few crows (though she could never tell if any of them were actually Matthew in disguise) About thirty minutes in she felt him appear behind her. The familiar silence of someone appearing, but not having walked up behind her. She paused and rolled her eyes.

"You know, appearing in my apartment I get. But if you're going to meet me in my real world why-" She turned and froze. "You're not Morpheus."

The lady in front of her was young, no younger than Johanna. She looked, honestly, about Johanna's age. She was beautiful, but in a classic kind of way. Like she was meant to be a greek painting. The lady crinkled her eyebrows and smiled slightly before answering.

"No, I'm not."
"Sorry, I thought you were my boyfriend for a second."
Her eyebrows raised, "Boyfriend?"
"Yes. You give off the same presence as him, which is odd."
"Sorry, I'm not Morpheus, I'm Calliope."
"Johanna. Nice to meet you."
"You as well. How do you know him?"
"Who?"
"Morpheus, Dream."

Johanna's eyes widened. She didn't think anyone else in the waking world knew of Dream, or at least knew who he truly was.

"I- How do you know him?"
She smiled sadly, "I'm his ex wife."
Johanna's jaw dropped, "He never mentioned..."
"He probably wouldn't. It didn't end well, and we've only just started mending things."
"I see, how did you-"
"I would love to answer your questions, but if you wouldn't mind answering mine first?"
"Of course, sorry." Johanna paused, "You know, there's a great coffee shop just around the corner. Could I buy you a cup?"
This time she truly smiled, "That would be nice."

The walked a block and came to a small corner coffee shop. Once settled, Johanna answered Calliope's question.

"How I know him, gosh. He had lost all his possessions. I had happened to have his sand at one point and he came asking for my help to get it back. We spent the better part of 24 hours tracking it down. That's more or less how we met."
"Fate has a funny way of bringing people together."
"I suppose. If I may, what happened between you two?"
Calliope smiled and looked down, "Life. We had a son. When he died, I think it was just too much for both of us. We spent forever hating each other until I got trapped and he came to save me."
"I'm so sorry. Why do I feel like there's more to that story though?"
She hesitated before continuing, "When he rescued me I was hoping we could try and save what we had. Possibly go back. He wasn't ready then to fully try and mend what we had, just to accept we no longer hated each other. And I respected it. Then I heard he had been visiting your realm more and more and I was curious about why."

Johanna froze and studied Calliope. She wasn't sure what to do next. The woman in front of her seemed sad, but kind. But on the other hand she had admitted to wanting Morpheus back.

"Do I need to be concerned?"
Calliope's eyes shot up, "No! Gods no, uhm I'm sorry I'm realizing now what that sounds like. I have accepted that our time has passed. It's okay, it's what happens in life. I just wanted to make sure whatever was keeping him here was good for him."
"That still sounds like I need to be concerned."
Calliope chuckled, "Well are you bad for him?"
"I hope not."
"How did you two wind up together?"

And Johanna told her. She talked about him removing her dream about Astra and about how after that she slept better than she had in years. She told her about how some of the new dreams she had were of him, and how after a while more nightmares filled her mind. She talked about calling for him. Asking him to help again, and how after that night she couldn't stop thinking about him.

She rambled on and on, talking about their first kiss and how kindly he treated her, but mostly just him. His eyes and how they have a permanent cold stare except when he's looking at her. His hair, and how soft it is whenever she gets to run her hands through it, the way he's the person she feels most comfortable with and his no matter what, she trusts him to protect her.

It surprised Johanna honestly. How easily she turned into a school girl and was ecstatic just to talk about him. To talk about being happy for the first time since Rachel. I mean, Ric would listen, but how to you explain that you're dating an immortal being who can walk through dreams?

And she didn't really have any friends she talked to enough who would listen. When she finished she could feel the stupid grin that had made its way to her face. And she didn't care.

"You are glowing." Calliope said slowly.
"I'm happy. For the first time in forever, and I love feeling like this. I mean it's terrifying, in the past all my relationships have ended badly but, I missed feeling like this."

Calliope smiled. They left the coffee shop and walked back towards Johanna's apartment.

"I don't know what your verdict is on whether I'm good for him or not. But I know he's good for me. And honestly that's enough."
"Good. I'm happy for you. And I also think he needs someone like you in his life. I haven't spoken to him in a while, so I can't say whether he feels so intensely as you do, but I hope he does. He deserves the happiness you feel. And I hope you can bring it to him."
"I try." They looked at each other and smiled "It's honestly hard to tell if it working though, that man does not smile very often." Johanna continued.

At this Calliope laughed, Johanna joined with her.

"No he does not." Calliope replied.
"Well, this is mine. Thank you, this was nice we should do it again. I'd love to learn more about you."
"I agree. Just ask him, he'll tell you how to call me, and we can go out again."
"Have a good evening Calliope."
"You too, Johanna."

Johanna turned and entered her building. It was quiet walking up the steps, and when she opened her door she felt him, actually him, this time. She looked up and there he was. On her couch, reading. He looked up at her, then put the book down and walked over to meet her.

"How was your day?"
"Enlightening."
"In what way?"
"I met Miss Calliope, your ex wife."

His face turned to shock, with a slight hint of fear, and Johanna chuckled.

"It was nothing bad. We went for coffee and just talked. She's nice, I like her. And I think she likes me. So if you would work your dreamy magic and tell me how to contact her, I think we could be friends."
"You want to befriend my ex wife?"
"No, I've already done that, I want to be closer friends with your ex wife."
"Fine. But please don't use her as a resource to gain secrets I've yet to tell you."
Johanna blinked shocked, "I would never. Your secrets are yours to tell me whenever you'd like. I just think I'd benefit from another friend from your world that can help me navigate it without you having to constantly be there."

He nodded. She looked over his face before leaning up and kissing him gently. He placed his hand on her waist and pulled her closer, and they broke away Johanna rested her forehead on his. She took a deep breath before continuing.

"You know I realized something today, I love you."

She felt him smile at her saying the words. And as scary as they were to put out there, they were true.

"I love you too. My difference being, I've known for a while."

                              ~~~~~~~~~~
Calliope and Johanna 🤝 being best friends. Anyways stan Morpheus and Johanna being in love.