In the Night

FLASH

            "I love you Maria. More than I love anything else." I heard my mom say;

I was practically asleep but still heard her. She sat on my bed like I wasn’t even there. Maria and I share a room. I have no doubt in my mind that my perfect sister was laying in her bed smiling at my mom. I could see her beautiful smile. I bet she was all tucked in, her blonde hair sprawled out across her pillow. My hatred for her grew. I slipped my hand under my pillow, feeling the knife. It had been there for a while but I never carried out the deed. I needed to. Soon. Tonight.

FLASH

            I heard the clock in the hallway ring, BONG BONG BONG BONG. Twelve at night. I turned over to see Maria, sleeping. She still looked beautiful. I sat up, sliding my knife out from my pillow. I looked at it. The moon was reflecting off and onto the wall. It seemed to sparkle in the moonlight. I smiled. I smiled showing all my teeth. I probably looked like Maria. I never felt so happy.

FLASH

            I heard the clock in the hallway ring, BONG BONG BONG BONG. Twelve at night. I turned over to see Maria, sleeping. She still looked beautiful. I sat up, I reached to grab my knife out from under my pillow. I stopped. It wasn’t there. I saw Maria move. Her eyes popped open. They glowed. I was frozen.

“Are you looking for something Nicole?” She asked innocently.

She started to smile. That smile she had earlier. Here mouth becoming abnormally large. Her sharp teeth showed, shining in the moonlight. Just like my knife. Maria’s arm went behind her and slowly she pulled out my knife. She turned it in her hands, the shining metal catching the moonlight.

“It’s dangerous, to play with knives, sister.” I couldn’t move.

My arms felt like they were tied together. I couldn’t scream. My mouth felt like it was taped shut. I struggled. She laughed.

“Don’t even try.” Her smile became hypnotizing. I couldn’t take my eyes away.

“It was nice playing, sissy. But you bore me.” Then with a quick flick of her wrist, she sent my knife spinning toward me, sparkling.

FLASH

            I heard the clock in the hallway ring, BONG BONG BONG BONG. Twelve at night. I turned over expecting to see Maria, sleeping. There was no Maria. I slid my hand under my pillow, trying to tell if my knife was still there. It was.

FLASH