NINE / "Fingers in Action"

CREDIT TO -whveler for helping me out with this chapter. The O-est G I follow

CYBER // JOSIE

I took a deep breath with my fist poised on our shared bedroom door. North wasn't in the kitchen, the dining room, or her favorite place: the couch.

So I had trekked upstairs, and here I am. Then I realized how silly I was for almost knocking on my own door, so I wrapped my hand around the doorknob. And then, shit, well she is upset, so I decided to knock anyway.

The door had flown open away from my face, causing me to retract back abruptly.

My eyes were wide as I cautiously looked at North's scarily stoic expression.

She stared back at me, raising her eyebrow, before scoffing and turning around. I watched safely from the doorframe as she took a seat on her bed, facing away from me.

I tried to brace myself with another deep inhale. My feet moved on their own as I slipped inside, kicked off my vans by the shoe shelf, and went over to my bed.

Since it was directly across from North's we were only a few feet apart.

I didn't take my eyes off of hers as much as she avoided any eye contact with me. "Nor-" I started, but I was unable to finish my sentence as she cut me off.

"So what? You ditched me to go hang out with one of your hoes?"

Wait. What did she just say to me? "N-North?" I stuttered. "Wh-what are you—? Why would you say that?" I accused confusedly.

Well, I mean, she spent more time in the normo world than I have. After all, she was born a normo unlike me. We've joked about things like that before it's just...? Still, what the fuck? North wouldn't mean it that way, would she? The way it's always been meant?

Then Jaxon's voice came booming from down the hall, " 'Ho' is crazy."

I whipped my head over, but by then he was gone. When my eyes settled back on North, tired as they were, she was biting her nails. Her knee was holding her elbow up as it was propped up on her bed frame.

And it was shaking, like it always is.

Slowly her eyes looked up at mine, and I raised an eyebrow now that I had her attention. "Look, I'm sorry. Ok? I've been meaning to come home and say just that. And, Amy's just a friend, but don't talk about her like that."

"Hey, we both know that isn't true, but that's not the point."

"Which part isn't true, exactly?" I mean, I didn't say just one thing.

"All of it. You've been out for hours," she ranted. Her leg fell off the bed just as she shrugged.

"North, we can hang out tomorrow. Today is just really important to her, and I know we made plans, but—"

"When did I become a second option for you? I thought you were my best friend."

Great. She's dipping more into her normo side. I wish she didn't. I wish the years of being a villain had helped to harden her. At least she was smart enough to only show me this side of her and not Lawmaker or Onyx.