Airborne Oddities

The world is home to many unique and strange creatures. Many of these animals are capable of being categorized through one method or another, but sometimes there are species that simply defy our expectations. No matter how hard we try, these organisms seem to be far removed from the evolutionary tree. Even when looking at their genetic makeup, sometimes the best we can do is figure out what their closest living relatives are, and even then, the gap that separates both species from their last common ancestor can span millions of years.

These evolutionary anomalies can be found everywhere and come in every possible shape and size. Although there aren't any set rules to how these oddities can manifest, a reoccurring trend is that they are often found in isolated parts of the planet, such as in caves or the deep sea. Islands are also prime candidates for these anomalies, as the vast stretches of water that separates them from the mainland makes it very challenging for species to cross. Because of this, the longer organisms remain stranded on these landmasses, the wider the gap between them and their relatives on the continents will become.

One such example is Chamaeleadvesus avilacertus. Found only in Sri Lanka, these animals, commonly called Pukei-Pukeis, are without a doubt, the planet's most bizarre Bird Wyverns.

 Found only in Sri Lanka, these animals, commonly called Pukei-Pukeis, are without a doubt, the planet's most bizarre Bird Wyverns

Pukei-Pukeis typically grow to be 2.1 meters in length, 1.5 in height and support a 3 meter wingspan, making them one of the country's largest flying species. However, what really makes them unique isn't their size, but their prehensile, meter long tongue.

Besides giving them the longest tongue to body ratio of any species, this appendage is very flexible, capable of wrapping around and grabbing objects, before bringing them to the animals' mouth. Similarly to some frogs, Pukei-Pukeis have a hyoid bone in their tongue. By using the powerful muscles at the base of their appendages, they can launch the loose bone, making the rubbery apparatus shoot out.

This tongue can also be used as a weapon when needed, but its main purpose is to help the animals feed. Unlike most creatures with this type of oversized appendage, the Pukei-Pukei diet primarily consists of vegetation, so instead of deploying the stretchy muscle to reel in prey, they use it to obtain fruits and nuts that are out of reach.

In addition to their long tongue, the large bulging eyes of Pukei-Pukeis possess amazing color and night vision, allowing them to find food in any condition. However, these features don't just benefit the Bird Wyverns.

Pukei-Pukeis are incredibly important to their environment. Since they eat just about any type of plants and are capable of flight, these animals spread seeds all over the island which not only sows new vegetation and keeps genetic diversity high, but also prevents one species from dominating thus securing biodiversity.

However, some plants need Pukei-Pukeis more than others. A prime example of this dependency is Crepitusemen arborus, or the scatternut tree. Because their seeds are wrapped in a thick shell, scatternuts have low germination rates. Although the covering will shatter when hit with enough force, sending the seeds all over the place, this can only get them so far, and that's where the Pukei-Pukeis come in. While foraging, these Bird Wyverns will dislodge the nuts, forcing them to break open. For those who are eaten and ground up by the gastroliths inside the animals' stomach, their seeds will later be planted somewhere else through defecation.