𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 : the void

𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓 : 3.6k

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

𝐍𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄 was at work, inciting a whole rant from Flo about clogging up the non-emergency line. Unsure of what Nancy could be calling about, Owen gave Flo a falsely heartfelt look and reminded her that it could be an emergency. Once Flo begrudgingly passed the phone to Owen, Nancy asked for her to accompany her and Steve to a dinner at Barb's house that night. More specifically, a dinner with Barb's parents. A heavy pause hung in the middle of their telephone call, Owen left unsure about how to respond on such short notice.

"I'm still in my clothes from school," Owen supplied as an excuse to buy herself more time to think.

"That's totally fine. They'll understand," Nancy instantly replied, her voice squeaky and overly optimistic. But when more silence followed the response, Nancy's tone shifted into something more soft and genuine. "Please, Owen. I really just can't do this without you."

Owen's mind was trying to pull itself in a million different directions, all at once. Maybe if she thought hard enough, her brain would just explode and she wouldn't have to act normal over a meal with the Hollands. All of this thinking just created more nerve wracking silence on Nancy's end. Flo shooting Owen an impatient look, silently urging her to hurry up and end the call, finally pushed a response from her lips.

"Okay, fine. I'll be there. I get off work at 5:30."

"Perfect. The dinner's at 6. See you there," Nancy murmured, a flood of relief evident in her tone even through the phone's speaker. "Thank you so much, Owen," she added, just before the phone was handed back to Flo. The older woman snatched the technology from Owen's hand and hung up before she could even acknowledge Nancy's words.

Owen's eyes peered at the clock that had been hung over Flo's desk.

5 o'clock.

She heaved a sigh to try and calm her hammering heart, turning around to face the pile of police reports again. She had thirty more minutes of mindless comfort in front of her. And she planned on cherishing it.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Night had fallen over the town of Hawkins by the time Owen, Nancy, and Steve arrived at the Hollands' for dinner. A mixture of cool moonlight and warm lights from within the house illuminated the group's path inside. The grass in front of the house was freshly trimmed. Even the bushes lined up against the brick house had been shaped up recently, it appeared. All of the landscaping was nice, but it also just made the "For Sale" sign in front of the house stand out like a sore thumb. Nancy must have seen the sign at the same time as Owen, as she cast a confused look to her friend from over her shoulder.

"Okay... You guys ready," Steve asked the girls with a hefty sigh.

"Yeah," Nancy nodded.

"Okay," Steve breathed, almost as if he had forgotten Owen was standing right behind him. Without a single word from her, he leaned forward and rang the doorbell. Once again, Nancy glanced back at Owen, checking to make sure that she was doing okay. But Owen was too busy studying each grain of wood on the door in front of them.

No going back now. No matter how much she didn't want to do this.

Barb's mom opened the door shortly after the doorbell chimed, a bright grin transforming her features the moment she saw the group of teenagers on her doorstep. For a split second, Owen thought that she could see a ghost of Barb's smile reflected in her mother's face. It was equal parts comforting and unsettling.