Chapter 133

Chapter 133 – First Visit to Jimin Pharmacy

“Grandmother, the divine physician, just started learning medicine with her master this year. A few years ago, she’s just a child! Even if we encountered her then, there’s nothing we could’ve done.” Master Ding saw the sorrow in the Old Madam’s eyes and explained.

Old Madam Ding possessed magnanimity unique to her age. She smiled. “I just thought of my old man and felt rueful. You guys need to listen to the divine physician’s words. Especially you. You’ll be given the family punishment if I find you straying from your diet plan!”

Her finger pointed towards the middle-aged Lord Ding. The family turned their gazes towards Landlord Ding who was silently reaching for the steamed dumpling with pure meat fillings.

Landlord Ding froze and then his face flushed. He placed his chopsticks down embarrassed and sighed bitterly. “Life is all about eating and drinking, having fun, and taking care of your needs. Food comes first. What’s the point of living if I can’t eat what I want? For the past half a month or so, all I’ve been having is healthy food…”

Old Madam Ding hit his head with the chopsticks. “Unfilial! Is food more important than your mother? You want your mother to mourn for you? Then go ahead and eat as much as you wish! At worst…at worst, I’ll die with you and let my old man teach you a lesson! Hmph. I think you miss being whipped by your father with a strap!”
Landlord Ding was a bit naughty and mischievous when he was young, so he had been beaten by his father frequently. His father had even gone through a few straps. Later on, Landlord Ding slowly restrained himself and inherited the family business. The only thing he didn’t change was his strong desire for great food. He enjoyed eating meat more than his father as if nothing was more important than that!

Landlord Ding was a filial son. Hearing his mother’s words, he hurriedly made an oath and promised that he wouldn’t eat meat in the future, disregarding his reputation. It took a while to coax his mother.

For her past two lives, Gu Ye had been desiring a lively and warm scene like the scene shopkeewithin the Lord Ding’s family. She smiled faintly at the scene, wanting to keep this beautiful memory. Moved, she dictated a few prescriptions to treat coronary heart diseases for the Ding Family.
One example included putting shelled peanuts and osmanthus into vinegar and soaking it for twenty-four hours. Then take fifteen pills every day after getting out of bed. Another example included washing the white fungus and edible fungus with warm water and then drying and placing them in a bowl. Add water and crystal sugars. Then steam it for an hour. Divide it into several portions for eating.

The Ding Family trusted her fully. They persisted in taking these prescriptions every day. Paired with taking medicine, they also exercised which helped to alleviate the symptoms for coronary heart disease.

She promised to bring medicine to the Ding Family again before the New Years. The siblings then bid farewell to the enthusiastic Old Madam Ding who urged them to stay. The siblings carried their bamboo baskets full of medicinal ingredients and headed to the Jimin Pharmacy.

...
It was only a thirty minute walk to the end of the street within this nameless town. There were less than a hundred people in this town and also why Baicao Pharmacy didn’t want to open a branch here.

Jimin Pharmacy was at the end of the street, an inconspicuous shop front as well as the only pharmacy in this town. There was a diagnosing physician, a shopkeeper in charge of making up a prescription, and a shop assistant cleaning after the store. The two sides of the shop front were occupied by rows of neat medicinal cabinets.

When the Gu siblings entered the store, there were no patients inside. The old physician sitting inside propped his head up with his arms as he snoozed. The shop assistant was diligently cleaning the medicinal cabinets.