12

"Mama, I wanna go outside." Yelena whines as she falls forward and buries her head into the cushions of the couch. Maria smiles lightly, careful not to move and jostle a sleeping Natasha currently napping on her chest.

It was the Monday after Yelena's first therapy session, and they'd not long gotten back from picking Natasha up from school. The twelve year old was borderline grouchy and irritable due to not sleeping too well the night before, and the second Maria had coaxed her onto the couch and into her arms, she was out like a light. That meant Yelena couldn't go outside, and she was making her dislike towards that known.

"I know you do," Maria attempts to placate as she reaches out and rests her hand on the back of the girls head, "but your sister is sleeping sweet girl, and you know you can't go outside without someone watching you."

"I know," Yelena pouts as she turns her head, eyes meeting Maria's own, "but I'm bored."

Maria holds out her free arm, and Yelena abides by the silent instruction and lays on the woman's other side, her head centimetres away from her sisters own. She feels a hand begin to run up and down her back, and she suddenly feels sleepy and wishes she had her blanket.

"Mama, I'm getting my blanket. Don't move." She warns as she points a stern finger at Maria and slides off of the couch, the woman nodding as she holds back her snort of amusement.

The little one was back in seconds with her blanket in her grasp, and Maria once again welcomes her back into her arms. Yelena curls up small against her with her thumb in her mouth, and Maria rolls her eyes playfully as she begins to soothingly pat her behind.

She really needed to break her from that habit before it affected her teeth.

Natasha suddenly stirs against her, and Maria quietly shushes her as she places her lips against the top of her head in soft kiss. She slips her hand beneath her shirt, grazing the tips of her fingers over the bare skin of her back.

"Shh." She soothes, and Natasha stills again, her hand gripping the material of Maria's shirt.

With a small sigh, Maria allows her own eyes to slip closed.

*

Maria was awoken by screaming. It was loud, even through her bedroom wall, and no hesitation was apparent as she scrambles out of bed and all but runs towards the girls bedroom. She was met with the sight of Natasha writhing in her bed, her covers gone and her body shiny with sweat. Yelena was sat up in her own looking terrified and upset, quiet, fearful sobs escaping her lips.

Hating the fact she even had to chose who to prioritise right now, she beds down to Yelena, cups her cheeks and presses a tender kiss to her forehead. She then heads over to Natasha and sits down next to her on the bed, placing her arms underneath her writhing frame and hauling her upper body up into her arms.

"It's okay," she murmurs as she squeezes her close and begins to rock her back and forth, "you're okay Natasha. You're safe. I've got you."

Natasha screams again as her back arches, legs kicking and nails digging into Maria's back, and Maria holds her even closer as she closes her eyes.

"You're okay Natasha," she repeats, "I've got you, and you're safe."

"No!" Natasha cries, "no, I'm sorry!" She was attempting to get out of Maria's arms now, her body trembling violently as loud, terrified cries escape her lips, and the woman tightens her grip even further to stop her from falling off of her lap, tears brimming her own eyes.

Maria could hear Yelena's quiet sobs echoing through the room too, and she flickers her gaze over to see the little one curled up small, her blanket held to her face.