|29|

Elodie

I never thought I would ever be escorted off the premises of anywhere, let alone like it. Yet here I am, hand in hand with Barre. A guard holds our bags as he strolls us to the front door of the palace. He carries the big pack Barre brought with us originally, and the one I got while staying in the palace. It's much smaller.

Inside the bag is a whole new wardrobe tailored to me. I made sure to choose dresses that would be ideal for living in the woods. Low maintenance sun dresses, loose fitting wide leg pants, long sleeve t-shirts. I got to pick out everything. It was the highlight of my week.

I shoot a sly glance at Barre. Well, not the biggest highlight, that's for sure.

Before too long we're stepping into the sun, letting the warm rays beat down on us. There's no rain today. It's bright. Too bright. I thought I would bask in the joy of a sunny day. I had looked forward to a day like today.

Now though, now I'm missing the rain so much my chest aches. I love the smell of it, the sound of it.

"It'll be back, tiny, don't worry." I look up at my mate, curious. Barre laughs. "The rain. You're glaring at the sun. I know you miss the rain. I do too. It never leaves for long, so don't worry, okay?"

He clamps a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it in reassurance. He already knows me so well. I definitely made a good choice. I smile to myself, knowing this life will be good to me with Barre in it.

Salsh runs forward, and I know he's spotted something. That's when I see Soliel running to me, arms open, but our pet has the gall the step in front of her before she can get to me. He stands solidly in front of me, paws spread in a wide stance as he growls at my best friend.

"Hey, puppy I'm just trying for a goodbye hug." She insists, letting her arms drop pathetically.

I chuckle, because it's hilarious that he thinks that Soleil could hurt me. She's smaller than me, and drained of energy because she's pregnant. Although, even then, she could probably beat me in a fight easily.

"Salsh." Barre commands, and his companion reluctantly leaves me, going to sit beside my mate with an annoyed sigh.

Soliel crashes into me, and I hold her close, my arms wound tightly around her neck and burying my face in her dark hair.

"I'll always love you, no matter what. You have to come visit me, especially when the kit gets here." My usually stoic best friend sniffles in my ear, and I pull away, my hands still on her back as I assess her puffy eyes.

"Kit? You already adopting the lingo?"

Soleil laughs a little laugh, wiping at her nose with the inside of her wrist.

"I guess so. It's Fray's fault." Another tear rolls down her cheek, and I feel my own eyes start to sting in response.

"Don't cry! I can't handle it when you cry." I mumble, pushing away the moisture collecting in my eyes. It's stubborn and decides to keep flowing anyway.

"Yeah, I think the last time you saw me cry was when I got grounded for painting a pair of boobs on the side of the main building at home. Man, I got in so much trouble."

I start cackling, remembering the words "Pussy Power" written in pink paint over the cartoon boobs on the red brick wall. Our old home was strict, and Soleil liked to disobey, I was always too afraid to step out of line.

"I wish I had helped, I was too much of a goody two shoes." I admit, and Soliel nods as she laughs, still rubbing the tears from her face. Her rosy cheeks are covered in moisture now.