Chapter two

Evelyn parked into her driveway by 9:16pm. The neighborhood was noiseless and peaceful. She emerged from her car and instinctively stopped in her tracks.

  The lights in her living room was turned on. She was muddled at first because she remembered turning off all the lights but sooner, the confusion soon transformed to fear as she noticed two dark silhouettes from the curtains.

  Her heart palpitated in her chest and her mouth felt dry all of a sudden. She locked her apartment, that she was sure of and no one has the keys to her apartment. That could only mean one thing.

  Thieves.

  She was shocked because she had never had an encounter with thieves. With shaky fingers she tried dialing 911 but she dialed 9 and too many ones'. She finally got the code right after several attempt.

  "911 what's your emergency?"

  She managed to whisper, "there are t-thieves in my home."

  "Try to stay calm. What's the address?"

  "3A, Jones street, Goodluck Town."

  "We'll be there in thirteen minutes." the line went dead.

  "It'd be fine Evelyn, everything will be okay," she assured herself.

  The dark silhouettes looked like they were crouched now and then a voice popped in her head. It was very much hers.

  If they were thieves, they weren't being professional in their work because they made themselves so noticeable.

  Evelyn paused for a second and that thought ran through her mind over and over again.

  Curiosity got a hold of her and she decided to take a risk.

  She searched her surrounding for anything she could use as a weapon in case of some unforseen events. Her eyes beheld an empty flower pot and she got a hold of it.

  She stealthily walked to the backdoor that led to the kitchen and more shock swept over her as she noticed all the lights in the apartment were switched on.

  She wasn't sure if the backdoor was open but it was worth a try at least. She turned the handle and it was indeed open.

  She held her bag in one hand and the flower pot in the other as she quietly opened the door.

  The pungent stench of old cheese hit her and her stomach grumbled fiercely due to nausea. She instinctively pressed her fingers on her nose as she closed the door behind her.

  From the entrance of the kitchen she took in the ugly view of the kitchen; Plates that were decorated with mould filled the sink, on the counter top, a mouse was busily feasting on a ripped bag of stale chips. Little cockroaches and ants crawled out of the sink and into the trash-bin which was heaped with different items.

  She felt her knees buckle and muscles go weak. The heavy feeling of nausea became worse. Her eyes watered and she felt the bile rise up to her throat. Eve pressed her palm firmly on her mouth.

  Am I in the wrong apartment?

  Her apartment had never been that way before. She even came to realize that none of the kitchen equipment were hers. There was something wrong ... really wrong.

  Muffled voices were audible from the living room and her grip on the flower pot tightened. She was going to get to the bottom of this.

  She left the kitchen area, stepping into the living room. She turned left in which the living room was located.

  Her heart instantly stopped beating for a second and the flower pot escaped from her hands at what she saw.