Nineteen

Raven

Tuckborough, Tookland

17 November 2958

"Are meetings always so long?" Kíli worried, while Raven picked at the plate of food placed in front of her.

"Whenever I have spoken with the Thain, he was not one to rush." Fíli acknowledged while Kíli scowled.

"I don't like it. Uncle already spoke him, you were there. Things should have been settled. This is a formality, is all." Kíli insisted.

"You know that even formalities can take time." Tauriel spoke softly, though she remained insistent. Across the table, she caught Raven's gaze and offered her a smile. "Patience, is something you would do well to learn, and not from this lot." she said, winking at Raven. It was true though, the dwarrow were on the whole an impatient lot.

A fortnight ago, Thorin and Fíli had returned to the smial with the new of the Thain's promise of a hearing. Since then, Bilba and Raven had had a short conversation about whether or not to go. Raven knew, however, how important the opportunity was for Bilba. She might never be close to her hobbit family, but she had always been different. This was an opportunity to try to make an amends, and Raven knew Bilba wanted it. Thus, they had packed their meager belongings and bid their smial farewell.

The elves and Estel had left early on the morning after Thorin's return, promising to visit them in Hobbiton. Primula had also departed before them. She was first to send a letter to the Baggins matriarch asking about Bilba's presentation. They were all assuming that things would go well with the Thain. After all, it hardly seemed likely that Thorin would offer Bilba such an apology without its assured success. Then, she had chosen to continue on to Buckland to spend some time with family. Raven missed her, but it wasn't exactly the first time that Primula had left.

Everything though was changing. Raven had even been given a break from her studies. Of course, Bilba had been fairly busy; packing and testing out old recipes. Not to mention the late night meals when she would catch up with the Company. Raven didn't remember ever seeing Bilba so happy before. It made her realize now too how sad Bilba must have been for so long.

When Bilba wasn't otherwise occupied, she could also be found speaking with Thorin. Of course, Raven had noticed the walks that her parents took. They had a habit of lasting several hours, but so long as they both returned smiling, she had no complaints. In all honesty, she was rather glad for the walks. She knew her parents deserved to be happy; she wanted to see them thus.

Her own study-free days had consisted of training and playing with Bombur's sons. Raven liked the energetic young dwarrow. Baldur and Elsbur, were always happy to play or explore with her. Of course their wandering had gotten them in trouble a few times. Raven had realized then that, no matter how stern Thorin appeared, he wasn't actually angry with her. Plus, if she appeared miserable enough he tended to give up all together on being upset with her. The first time that she'd pulled such a trick in front of Dís, the dwarrowdam had laughed. Fíli and Kíli had noticed not long after and had pouted, claiming that Thorin never went so easy on them. Dís's expression over their shoulders suggested that she had a different memory.

They had departed from the smial a week ago. It hadn't been everyone in the camp. Bilba had needed to present herself to the Thain in Tuckborough, and Raven was of course going with her. The Company had naturally volunteered to accompany with them. There were a few additions though, Dís, Lívói, Gimli, and Tauriel all insisting on going with them. The two dwarrowdams had claimed that, if Bilba was to be presented as Queen she would need ladies. Elsba had apologized to Bilba, feeling bad for not going as well. Two ladies, one a princess, she'd argued, were hardly a fitting retinue for a queen. However, since the boys were not to accompany the group she felt it was wrong to leave her children. Bilba had waved off the dwarrowdam's concerns. Of course she'd insisted that family came first. Bilba after all wasn't used to having ladies, and if Elsba wanted to join them later then she would be welcome. Dís had laughed at Bilba's obvious discomfort at the prospect of ladies. Raven's aunt had promised that this would only be the beginning. No one had responded to that assertion. No one was sure how to. Gimli was a strong young warrior, and refused to hear of letting the Company go without him. Instead, quietly, he had saddled his own mount. Tauriel likewise had never considered being left behind. Where Kíli went after all so did she.