28

Benny's POV: ~small time skip~

     It was Fourth of July. Best night of the year because it meant night game. With everyone setting off fireworks throughout the night, it gives enough light to make it easier to play at the Sandlot.

     I weave my way through people and tables that packed the street to gather the guys. And Y/n of course.

     "Hey Benny man," Bertram calls from behind me. Following him was Kenny.

     "Oh hey guys. I was just coming to get you guys. We got to prepare for the night game," I say.

     "Can't we just have one night to watch the fireworks?" Kenny sighs.

     "Don't act like you guys don't get distracted anyway," I roll my eyes.

     "I'm sure if Y/n asks, he'd listen," Kenny whispers to Bertram.

"Oh definitely," Bertram agrees.

"Hey! I don't give in to Y/n that easily," I say before heading to look for the other guys.

"Yeah whatever man," Kenny laughs and I can hear as him and Bertram make a bet. I just shake my head and keep walking.

Finally I gather all the guys and we hangout around a table outside Scotty's house, waiting for Y/n. The sun hasn't even set yet but kids are running around with sparklers as parents light off some firecrackers.

"Who's excited for fireworks?" Y/n runs up to us, an excited grin on her face.

The guys agree immediately.

"Scotty told me about a night game. Can you guys really see?" Y/n asks.

"Yeah-Yeah. The fireworks here are huge. The sandlot is lit up like crazy!" Yeah-Yeah says.

"It's the one night of the year when we can actually play at night," Ham adds.

"That's cool," Y/n pauses for a second, "Wait, does that mean you guys don't watch the firework show?"

"Benny doesn't care. He's all about baseball. If he can have the opportunity to play at night he takes it," Squints shrugs.

"We all usually give in though," Scotty says quickly.

"Except Benny," Timmy says.

"Except Benny," Tommy repeats.

"Oh. That's a shame. I love watching the fireworks. A night game sounds really fun though," Y/n smiles.

I felt my excitement falter. I love night games, but I would rather have Y/n happy then me just being able to play baseball.

~~

"Foul ball!" Ham yells.

"That's not a foul ball, you idiot," Yeah-Yeah says.

"Maybe not a technical foul, but that hit was awful man. My mama-," Ham replies.

"Hey!" Y/n cuts in before Ham can make a misogynistic joke and raises a playful eyebrow making everyone laugh.

We probably managed to cycle everyone at least twice for batting before it got really dark and the fireworks began. Nothing crazy, it was definitely a show, but I never payed attention. Here and there the guys would fail to run after the ball or miss a swing, but I kept them focused.

It was finally my turn to bat again. I make my way to the plate and take the bat from Yeah-Yeah.

"See it here folks! Benny 'The Jet' Rodriguez is here on Fourth of July night, beating his personal record of five years of preventing children from enjoying the nation's birthday!" Ham announces.

I shake my head, "Thanks Ham."

"Come on Benny man! The finale should be starting soon!" Bertram says in reference to the fireworks.

"I have a couple cherry bombs I want to use afterwards!" Squints whines.

"Squints, you should not handle explosives," Y/n laughs.

"Just get on with it," I say as I motion towards Kenny.

"Wait! Can I pitch?" Y/n asks.

Kenny hands her the ball, "Strike him out Hotshot. So we can actually enjoy the fireworks," Kenny says not so subtly.

"Benny I'd be careful with her," Timmy taunts.

"Benny I'd be careful with her," Tommy repeats.

"Nothing I couldn't handle," I wink at Y/n. She's smiles, but the guys make disgusted noises.

"Let's play ball!" Ham yells.

I get into my stance and zero in on Y/n. She gives me a wink back before releasing a fast curveball. I swing. I miss.

"Strike one!" Ham announces.

"Yes Y/n!" Scotty cheers, "Sorry Benny."

I shake my arms a bit before getting into my stance again. Within a couple seconds, Y/n sends another curveball. I swing. I miss.

"No way!" The guys say. They're all practically jumping with excitement and cheering on Y/n to strike me out.

     I straighten myself, roll my shoulders back, and get into my stance once more. I lock eyes with Y/n for a moment. They had a mischievous glint in them. She draws her arm back once more and releases a fast ball.

     I zero in on the ball. Swing back. And....crack! The ball goes soaring into the air as soon as the fireworks finale starts. Flashes of red, white, blue and a couple other colors mixed in light up the sky like crazy. But I run the bases.

     In less then a minute, everything was silent as I ran the bases and made it back to home base. I look around and find the guys staring at the sky in awe. Their arms drooped to their sides and the ball rolls towards the far fence.

     "Not bad," Y/n shrugs as I make my way over to her.

     "I hope you mean the fireworks. That was a great hit I did right there," I pull her into my side.

     She giggles and then looks around, "It's kinda weird how they are just standing there," she points to the guys. The fireworks were still bursting in the air like crazy.

     I shrug, "Happens every year. You'll get used to it."

     Y/n looks up. The colors in the sky highlighting her features and her eyes had a bright glisten, "I haven't seen fireworks like this in, I don't know how long. It's beautiful."

     I can't look away from her, "Yeah. Beautiful."

     She looks at me and smiles softly, "I had fun tonight. I'm looking forward for the next night game."

     I smile back, "Me too."

    In an instant we draw each other in for a kiss. The crackles and booms of all the fireworks are drowned out and it's just me and Y/n together under the colors. It was amazing. I never wanted this to end.