009

——BROKEN CROWN, act one

CHAPTER NINE

Tommy and two of his brothers, and after persuading Polly, Michael as well. Tommy told her it would be a good time to spend some time with Anna now that they had been reunited again. Tommy had planned on buying a new horse, they made enough money to spend on a good horse. Michael wanted to join, and Tommy was fine with it, he saw himself in Michael. Which would either be Michael's beginning or cause his ending.

When they finally made it to the auction, there had been another woman, who immediately took notice of Tommy and the rest of the Blinders, family, and non-family, who wouldn't. They had dressed in fine clothing, at least the Shelby brothers did, and yet it seemed out of place for this event, like they didn't know what they were doing there. But Tommy did, even with Curly's pleads of going back because something bad was going to happen.

The moment the horse, the one Tommy was planning on betting on, was pulled up, the woman, May Carleton, noticed the interest Tommy had in the horse. Out of pure curiosity of what would happen she started to bid as well, she bid far more than she knew the horse, the white-grey mare, was worth, but as she continued to bid, Tommy Shelby kept outbidding her until she gave up and Tommy was left to pay nearly twice as much as he told his aunt he would spend.

But he got what he wanted and that's all that mattered to him. "What is your name, sir?" the auctioneer said. "Thomas Shelby" he said and looked directly at May. She stared right back at him, and there was something about him that drew her closer. Perhaps it was the danger he seemed to give off, something in her head screamed at her to turn and run the other way, but something also told her that if you get a man like this and eventually get him out of your system, you will meet the person you're meant to be with.

In the world of May Carleton, Tommy Shelby was the fling you had before you gave yourself fully to your husband, but Tommy was looking to be some rich woman's fling, he had bigger plans, one that involved the curly headed woman he met on the fields outside of Birmingham. Tommy and the Blinders and they walked down after the auction into the office to handle payment.

"Name?" the man asked. "Thomas Shelby" he said. "What will the name of the horse be?" the man asked as Tommy put down the money. "Twilight's Beauty" he said, and the man noted it. Tommy walked out of the office again and ran into May Carleton. "Why that mare?" she immediately asked, straight to the point. Something in her thought it would be pleasing to a man like Tommy, to be direct. "Why not" he said and grabbed a cigarette out of the silver cigarette case he always carried with him. There was probably not a man or woman who smoked as much as he did.

"Who are you?" she asked. "Thomas Shelby" he said as he wet the filter of his cigarette slightly with his lips before placing it in the corner of his mouth and kept looking at the woman. "And what do you do?" she asked. "I rarely answer questions" he said as he watched her. "My name is May Carleton, and I've become quite interested in the mare you bought" she said and looked at Tommy. He didn't say anything back and just looked at her, as if she was crazy.