𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄 || PROLOGUE

november 6th , 1983 , hawkins pd

MARCUS LOOKED UP FROM his cup of coffee at the sound of the station's door swinging open

MARCUS LOOKED UP FROM his cup of coffee at the sound of the station's door swinging open. He watched his brother walk in with a hang over showing clearly in his face and his steps.

"Good of you to show." Said Flo with spite as Jim walked past her receptionist desk.

"Oh, hey, morning Flo. Morning everybody." Jim mumbled loudly, walking into the office where a game of cards was taking place with a cigarette between his teeth.

"Hey, Chief!" Greeted Officer Powell.

"Damn!" Said Officer Callahan as he took in Jim's appearance. "You look like hell, Chief."

"Oh, yeah?" Jim walked past Callahan's desk, smiling sarcastically at him. "Well, I looked better than your wife when i left her this morning."

Powell let out a laugh, and from his spot across the room, Marcus smirked in amusement. Callahan just shook his head and leaned back in his chair, almost pouting like a child.

Flo walked up to Jim where he had stopped to grab himself some coffee and a donut. She snatched his cigarette away.

"While you were drinking or sleeping or whatever it is you deemed so necessary on Monday morning - Phil Larson called. Said some kids are stealing the gnomes out of his garden again." Flo told Jim.

"Oh, those garden gnomes again." Jim started sarcastically. "Well I'll tell you what. I'm gonna right on that." He walked away, and paused to peek at Powell's cards as Flo spoke again.

"On a more pressing matter, Randy Kohlchek can't find his little brother this morning-"

"Hmm, okay, I'm gonna get on that." Jim took a bite of his donut.

"-and Joyce Byers can't find her son." Flo finished, seeming irritated.

"I'll get on it, just give me a minute." Jim set his corse for his office.

Flo followed him. "Joyce and Randy are very upset-"

"Flo, Flo, we've discussed this," Jim interrupted. "Mornings are for coffee and contemplation." Marcus moved away from where he was standing to attempt to intercept Jim and keep him from walking into the office so soon.

"Chief, they're already in your-" Flo was cut off again.

"Coffee and contemplation, Flo!" Jim repeated.

"Jim, hold on a damn second," Marcus said, coming up in front of him. "Joyce is in hysterics right-"

"Don't tell me what to do, Marc, it's like eight in the morning." Jim said to his brother, moving past him to get to his office.

It was actually 10:15 in the morning.

Marcus turned and said "Jim, they're already in your office!" just as Jim walked through the door and found Joyce Byers and Randy Kohlchek sitting inside.

Jim paused in the doorway, unexpecting of their presence, and watched as Joyce and Randy jumped up from their seats to turn and look at their Chief.

Marcus came up behind Jim with a sigh, and nudged his shoulder. "There goes your coffee and contemplation."