Chapter 4: iced coffee & vanillas

[ TW / minor descriptions of violence ]

"Where should we eat?" Youngjae wonders as he and Jaebeom turn a street corner, walking past the small crowd of students in front of them. They'd been dismissed early today, much to his delight, and since it was already noon, they opted to have lunch first before going back to the dorm. 

"Iced coffee would be nice..." Jaebeom mutters, moving to the side where the shade was. It was a lot hotter than usual, the sun beating down relentlessly and uncomfortably at the people walking through the street. 

Youngjae hums in agreement, stepping aside as well. "How about the cafe Yugyeom told us about? It should be around here." 

Jaebeom nods. "Sure, why not." 

It didn't take long before they reached the cafe, which was surprisingly not too packed even at this hour. There were only around five people scattered across the tables, and as he turned to the side, Youngjae saw the barista, sitting behind the counter and sipping on a coffee, staring blankly somewhere on the wall. 

Youngjae chuckled to himself. The others weren't lying when they said he's cute. 

They took a seat on the table near the counter, and only in a matter of seconds, the barista came over to them, handing both of them a menu with a small smile. 

"I'll have one iced coffee and one pizza bread," Jaebeom says after a while. 

"An ice-blended vanilla and I'll also have one pizza bread," Youngjae says afterwards. 

They pay for it, and the barista quickly writes down their orders. "It'll be done in about 15 minutes," he says before going behind the counter again to make their drinks. 

Jaebeom leans back against his seat, skimming through the room. "It's good that a cafe opened here." 

Youngjae nods absentmindedly, pulling out his phone. Before this cafe opened, the nearest one was a ten-minute walk from their dorm. Being college students and all, coffee has pretty much become a necessity in their lives. 

He scrolls through their group chat, which he didn't have the time to read through yesterday due to the amount of assignments he had to do, and is met with a flood of messages (mostly coming from Yugyeom and Bambam) talking about the barista here at this cafe, Jinyoung. There's a gentle smile on his lips as he reads through their messages of how cute and attractive he is, how his adorable eye smile could light up a room within seconds. Youngjae chuckles, shaking his head. 

It was pretty clear how the two have the biggest crushes on Jinyoung, and at some point in the chat, even Mark and Jackson joined the two in complimenting the barista, gushing about how kind he is and how mellow his voice is when he talks. It's his first time seeing them so in love with someone else. Except, well, each other, of course. 

"What is it?" Jaebeom asks, noticing that the younger has been smiling at his phone for a while now. 

Youngjae looks up at him, a grin still on his face. "Have you read through the group chat? It's just everyone being in love with the barista here." 

"Ah." The other raises an eyebrow in acknowledgement, chuckling. "Yeah, I've read it. He's all they've been talking about these past two weeks." 

Youngjae nods in agreement. It didn't bother him, and he knew it didn't bother Jaebeom, either. After all, it seems like all of them at this point have a crush on Jinyoung. The two of them hadn't met him yet until now, but after hearing about him a lot and finally seeing him in person now, he could certainly understand why the four were so head over heels for him.