Chapter 6

I cried there on the side of the road. Everything in our new town was supposed to be perfect. My mom did everything she could for me, and I don't know what has happened now. I wipe of my tears with my sleeve, and as I stand up I wipe the dirt, and grass stains off my knees. I then take a deep breath, and move my fly - aways from in front of my face. It was in that moment that I was puzzled for what to do. I always had my mother, or someone for that matter, that was always by my side. I have never really been alone like this. I walk over to the side of the road and wave my hands in the air, trying to get someone who is driving's attention. After trying to get people's attention for about 10 minutes, I come to the conclusion that I must walk home. I didn't exactly want to walk home, and I didn't exactly want to be home. I just didn't know what to expect when I got home, nothing really is safe anymore, my mother was my safety, whenever I was scared, my whole life I would go to her, and she would help me get over my fear. But now that was gone.

I walk along the freeway. People must be wondering if i'm homeless or something. The thing that scared me was that I might be homeless, my mom or whatever that thing that was in the car with me was really mad with me. I didn't know if they would let me back in the house. I trudged along, not knowing what to expect

The worst part of it all is that I don't know my way around this town, I mean I moved her a few days ago for pete's sakes! This reminds me of how good my dad was a directions. Whenever my mom was lost, my dad would always guide us back to where we needed to be. I started to cry. So i sat down on the edge of the road, and sat down with my head in my knees. Everything in my life had gone downhill. Nothing was going right, nothing ever went right in my life. I always failed quizzes and tests, I never made friends growing up, and I sure as heck didn't get onto any sports teams. All of these feelings I had inside of me just piled onto the pit of sadness I was buried in.

I got up and once again wiped the tears with my sleeves. If I only feel sorry for myself, I won't get any better. I walk along the road, and watch as the sun sets further and further down, creating the sky to become darker and darker.

After a couple of hours of walking I figured I would walk along an exit and see where it would take me. The whole time I was doing this I just keep replaying the day over and over. The day my father had died.

It was January 2008, It was a snowy cold day, and I was cooped inside. My school had a day off due to bad road conditions, and my mother was making hot - chocolate. As my mother was bringing my cup of hot - chocolate to me her cell - phone rang. She answered and dropped the phone to the ground, the screen shattering.

I guess I didn't really understand. I always thought of snow as fluffy and fun to play in, and a sandbox for creation. But that " Sandbox of creation " killed my father. His red pickup truck spun out of control on the snow and flew off the road.

After that had happened, we moved from Minnesota to Mississippi. I said earlier that we had moved a lot because of my dad's job, and I guess it is true, we did. But what I wasn't ready to say yet was what the actual reason we moved was for. And after this I didn't really have a desire to make friends. And my mom had a growing concern for me, I didn't have any friends, but I didn't want or need any friends. So I thought this move would help me.

Little did I know what this move would actually bring for me.