Amazon denies firing staff, says made changes in hiring plans

Amazon has refuted claims of firing employees

Amazon has refuted claims of firing employees. The company said that it has made changes to hiring plans for the future. Amazon's earnings report shows that it has 100,000 fewer staff but it does not mention that employees were laid off. The e-commerce giant did not backfill when the employees left for quite some time and has also cited normal attrition as the reason behind a decrease in headcount.

In the earnings report, Amazon CFO, Brian Olsavsky said that the company had reduced headcount by almost 27,000. "On the head count, yes, I think there was more, as we mentioned in Q1 we added 14,000 workers. Prior Last year, we had reduced our net head count by 27,000. So, we were pretty transparent about the fact that we had hired a lot of people in Q1 for the coverage of the Omicron variant. Luckily, that variant subsided, and we were left with a higher head count position. That has come down through adjusting our hiring levels and normal attrition and was pretty much resolved by the end of April or early part of May. So that is dominating the quarter-over-quarter reduction in head count," Olsavky said.

Google, too, has slowed down hiring. The company CEO Sundar Pichai had informed the employees through a memo about a slowdown in hiring.